Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello hotrodders out there! i just started dipping my hands into Pontiac. and ive fallen in love all except the parts hunting. i have a 301 and i cant find a aluminum intake manifold for it. EVERY were ive hunted only goes down into 326 and up so i was wondering if anyone knew some place to find parts for this diamond. or would a intake form a 326 fit on my 301

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
Welcome to the site , If you post it the proper section you will get better responses. And i don't think a 326 intake will work on a 301 the 301 is narrower engine, But Creech he will know what will fit if any . :welcome: . Cole

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Not trying to burst your bubble.

301 Pontiac motors are a piece all their own. There are some factory parts available for it. It was offered turbocharged. But, had numerous problems.

The heads are different than any other pontiac. The crank is fragile, to say the least. Very little aftermkt parts are available.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I have an OEM turbo assemble (w/spread bore carb flange, etc.) that came on a '80 (IIRC) Pontiac 301. It was boost limited to around 8-9 psi, and was a small, restrictive piece from the start, the heads have siamesed ports, the cranks didn't come w/all the normal counterweights, etc.

The 301's that got the turbo as well as all the '80-'81 engines (turbo or not) were beefier than their non-turbo '79-back brethren.

Some power can be made w/the 301, but all things considered, you'd be dollars and 'sense' ahead to start w/a 400/455, IMO.

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
The 301 is a short deck Pontiac block, and they had oddball head, so no other Pontiac intake will match up. You'd be much better off finding even a 350 Pontiac. Heads, with the correct intakes, are interchangable on all pontiacs from 287 to 455, with the exception of the short decks and ram air V. Your best bet would be to find a Pontiac engine built between '67 through '74, and there's nothing wrong with a 350. The early blocks didn't have sll the motor mount bolt holes needed for Firebird, but several venders now supply adapter mounts. If you don't want to put a lot of money into your drivetrain, shy away from a 455. They make so much torque, you'd have to upgrade everything. For a light late model car, you can't go wrong with the 350. Almost as much torque as a 400, with better milage, and everything but pistons will interchange. If you wanted to build a torque monster, both Jim Butler Performance (in Tennessee) and Pacific Performance Racing (in California) sell stroker kits (4" stroke) to make a 383 out of the 350.
If you need anymore info, PM me or just post here.

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

this is going to sound crazy but the 301 is in a 1981 buick regal 2door. i figured ide get the best of both worlds and put the well known pontiac power into the sleeper grocery getter that granny gave me and here is were ive ended up so far. it moves it ok with a 750 holley 4brl but im wanting that little more get up and GO.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
That Regal goes, what- 3800 lbs? No matter what you do to the 301, it'll never be a "contender".

BUT, there are common things that helps ANY engine. Put headers and a true dual exhaust on it. INFO on G-body/301 Pontiac headers.

Get the ignition advance curve dialed in, and the carb tuned real crisp.

Putting the car on a diet will help. So will a 455 or at least a 400. :mwink:

Another good site for info relating to the Pontiac 301 engine, is The 301 Garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.