Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
What color is the smoke?Black,grey or white?
The "black liquid"would probably just be condensation,water condenses in the mufflers or tailpipe and comes out while running.Do you have a high mileage engine?

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Check your oil for a milky substance,that is high mileage,could be a gasket.Does it smoke all the time?or just at start up?Check the liquid in your tailpipe,does it look as though it is water,with the soot kinda suspended in it?It may be simply valve seals are wore also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just notice it today. I changed my oil and fuel filter. When I turn it on to check for fuel leaks I notice the smoke and I took a look at the tail pipe and notice the black stuff. Looks like water does not have a oil feel to it.As for as the smoke I will run it tomorrow to see if it smokes all the time or not. Also the oil looks normal.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Condensation

Doc here::pimp:

Water coming out the pipes (within reason) and especially after long idle periods, is a normal byproduct of combustion. This will be a light white smoke like hot breath on a cold day..

If your getting STREAMS of water, and losing water, overheating,poor idle, temp gauge rising and falling rapidly... Then you have a problem.

Gray smoke at start~up and when accelerating Is indicative of Bad valve guides/or seals.

While the Car sits overnight, Bad seals/guides allow oil from the head to seep past them and collect in the cylinders if the guides/seals are at run-out...

On throttle, the pressures build up, oil being one of them, and pump more oil to the heads, valves, with weak guides/seals have to contend with the job of going up and down in a leaky/loose guide, and with more volume of oil, drop some into the cylinders...hence a blast of smoke on hard throttle.

A Vacuum Test can point you in the right direction...Normal is a steady 17 to 20 in hg at idle. A Guage that flutters at idle rapidly and then steady's as slight throttle is applied will indicate bad valve guides.

The Sooty Black deposits you see at the tailpipes is a "rich" condition at the carb.

The best cure for this is First: a good tune up,

(you should find your plugs are full of soot, and with bad guides, maybe oil fouled too)

Plugs, points,(if so equipped) rotor , cap, wires, filters, SET The timing

THEN after that's done clean the carb with some spray cleaner, real good, use 2 cans if needed..then adjust your idle jets all the way in, (softly!) and back out 3 turns, then adjust for highest smoothest idle If the idle jets have little or no effect on the idle, then consider a rebuild, or a new carb.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.