Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 59 gmc cab over that I want to transplant on a 2004 Chevy 1500 4x4 chassis. 04 has a 5.3, 4l60e and is drive by wire. Im building this project for my 17 year old daughter and want something that she can jump in fire up and drive. I've heard a guy can use the original harness and computers but wiring is not my strong suit. Does anyone out there have any helpful insite on what it would take to pull this off.

·
Administrator
8,477 Posts
Unplug EVERYTHING and pull it out. Carefully.
Label the connectors to the location you remove them from.
Label everything
You can lay it out on the ground next to the truck keeping it true to form as much as possible.Then hang it on the new (old) truck,plug it all together, then work on tying it all down
In other words , try to re install it as it came off the donor truck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unplug EVERYTHING and pull it out. Carefully.
Label the connectors to the location you remove them from.
Label everything
You can lay it out on the ground next to the truck keeping it true to form as much as possible.Then hang it on the new (old) truck,plug it all together, then work on tying it all down
In other words , try to re install it as it came off the donor truck
I didn’t get all my thoughts out on my first post, I’m wondering what do I do with the things I will not use like all the 2004 gauges, airbags, heater/ac and probably at least a dozen other things that are not coming to me at the moment.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Snow Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Snow Automotive parking light
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,736 Posts
I'd look into adapting the gauge cluster if not the entire dash. Although IIRC, that Jimmy's dash looks like a tri-5 car dash...

Russ

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts
nice coe truck! (y)

a bud built a factory 5 cobra using a 2006 mustang running gear
he extracted the whole wiring harness from the mustang and put it on a full sheet of plywood hanging on the wall
then he very carefully eliminated everything he didn't need, i think it will become obvious what to keep or clip
the mustang was manual, not sure what you'll need to operate the 4l60e
the dash feeds off the sensors, not reverse, i don't see a problem eliminating all of that
not sure if you can get a mechanical speedo drive tailshaft for the 4l60e

obviously you don't want an engine check light as it's probably on and flashing 😂

·
Registered
159 Posts
Contact any of the after market wiring gurus. Many have stand alone/plug and play kits that will "bolt in". They will run the engine and the transmission, the wire throttle and the A/C or anything else you need. Ron Francis is probably the best out there. Their after sale service is top notch. Your kit from them will have a serial number. If you call them give them the number and everything you need to know will be fed to you.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a 59 gmc cab over that I want to transplant on a 2004 Chevy 1500 4x4 chassis. 04 has a 5.3, 4l60e and is drive by wire. Im building this project for my 17 year old daughter and want something that she can jump in fire up and drive. I've heard a guy can use the original harness and computers but wiring is not my strong suit. Does anyone out there have any helpful insite on what it would take to pull this off.
Cool project, I don't think room will be a problem.
Like they said, take apart carefully and take pictures to refer back to. Number plugs and corresponding switch or module connector. Fuse block, engine compartment relay box, all have to be relocated within the limits of harness. Protecting harness from heat and chaffing.
I don't envy you having to move that tank, but it looks like it's all there.
Post more pics as you go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
nice coe truck! (y)

a bud built a factory 5 cobra using a 2006 mustang running gear
he extracted the whole wiring harness from the mustang and put it on a full sheet of plywood hanging on the wall
then he very carefully eliminated everything he didn't need, i think it will become obvious what to keep or clip
the mustang was manual, not sure what you'll need to operate the 4l60e
the dash feeds off the sensors, not reverse, i don't see a problem eliminating all of that
not sure if you can get a mechanical speedo drive tailshaft for the 4l60e

obviously you don't want an engine check light as it's probably on and flashing 😂
There was a guy in Oregon or Washington that would modify the tailshaft housing, I had him do mine for the 36 GMC I am building. I'll see if I can find his name and number. I don't know if I can message you or not. My email is [email protected].

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have used Speartech to have my LS harness modified and computer re-programmed. Excellent people, very helpful.
Installing the harness is actually pretty easy, when you lay it on the engine: all connectors are different, so you cannot plug in the wrong wire somewhere. Depending where you want to mount the computer, the harness can be extended (Speartech can do it, or you can do it yourself, it is mostly time consuming!).
There is a lot of LS engines info on LS1Tech.com, they have a section (conversions and hybrids) for vehicles that never had an LS originally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have used Speartech to have my LS harness modified and computer re-programmed. Excellent people, very helpful.
Installing the harness is actually pretty easy, when you lay it on the engine: all connectors are different, so you cannot plug in the wrong wire somewhere. Depending where you want to mount the computer, the harness can be extended (Speartech can do it, or you can do it yourself, it is mostly time consuming!).
There is a lot of LS engines info on LS1Tech.com, they have a section (conversions and hybrids) for vehicles that never had an LS originally.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts