Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, my name is pete and im new here. i have an 8 inch rearend in my 1955 fairlane and the yolk is broken , ive benn trying for 3 months to get the correct one and i cant find it anywhere, so im thinking im better of changing the rearend to eliminate this problem now and in the future? does anyone know what rearends match up easily in my car or perhaps have a yolk ?? thank you and im sure you will be seeing more from me in the future! happy new year!

·
Registered
535 Posts
hello everyone, my name is pete and im new here. i have an 8 inch rearend in my 1955 fairlane and the yolk is broken , ive benn trying for 3 months to get the correct one and i cant find it anywhere, so im thinking im better of changing the rearend to eliminate this problem now and in the future? does anyone know what rearends match up easily in my car or perhaps have a yolk ?? thank you and im sure you will be seeing more from me in the future! happy new year!
If your rear end has a U-joint like this it's not an 8" it is the rear ford cars used from 1949-56 you can find a replacement yoke here:

Attachments

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,687 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe the '57 to '64 Ford 9 inch would be almost a bolt in swap for your car. Do some measuring before buying one. Also check the Dana 44 from a '55-'57 Thunderbird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you go with an 8.8 I would suggest an explorer over a ranger or mustang. They come with 31 spline axles instead of 28. I don't know how much power you are making but that is my 2 cents. Junkyards have plenty and they are easy to get.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you go with an 8.8 I would suggest an explorer over a ranger or mustang. They come with 31 spline axles instead of 28. I don't know how much power you are making but that is my 2 cents. Junkyards have plenty and they are easy to get.
Since the 1952-56 Ford rear ends are 57.5" width and have very shallow rear wheel wells you better save this if you use the wider Explorer rear end explorer 8.8 rear end bracket welding install pictures | Maverick/Comet Forums still overall it will run you less than the going rate on a 9" rear that fits.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I try to avoid using wheel spacers.

But, this is one of those cases where using them may be justified if you can not find the correct 9" axle or do not want to modify a wider 9" by cutting the tubes and installing shorter shafts to fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts