Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a new Moser 12-bolt posi rear for my 69' Camaro. The rear comes bare metal and needs painting. I have a compressor and I intend to paint it using an air spray gun. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands (not aerosol) of hi-temp paint I should use? I intend to use hi-temp primer as a first coat. Should the paint be enamel? Do you think I should rough up the metal with sand paper first and what grit?

Thanks,

Joe

·
8,453 Posts
As long as you are going for quality and not the rattle can route, paint it with catalyzed base coat/clear coat urethane. Far and away the best coating available today. Do like you would do a car body. You won't need any hi-temp primer on a rear end - I have used this painting system on engine blocks and it has held up splendedly with standard primer and paint.

Clean the metal very well with detergent, dry, wipe down with metal prep (see your paint dealr for his recomendation), spray on a coat of etching primer, then color coat/clear coat. You will end up with a tough, temperature resistant, almost ceramic coated look that will hold up for years. You can get this stuff in quarts so it will only cost about half the national debt.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Agree w/willys- base/clear is best-(don't worry if it's not high temp) I have even sanded w/100 to 200, primed and used Eastwoods paints on suspension parts with excellent results.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I am still a little concerned about not using some kind of temperature resistance primer and paint. I was under the impression that the differential can get pretty hot and I definately don't want to have to repaint it. Are there any other brands that you can recommend other than Eastwood? I want to look at several options.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Like willys said- any base/clear color you pick out will work- you can match your car, do a complimentary color or go with black or silver neutral. Any good automotive quality paint brand you choose will work with the right preparation and application. Believe me- it will not get hot enough to damage your paint- pick a color you like! :cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Guys. You have me convinced. Thanks for the reassurance. My Moser 12-bolt is going to show up in a couple of days and I am going to go for it. I will let you know how it turns out. I ordered the heavy duty aluminum cover and I was thinking of all gloss black (my Camaro is black w/white stripes). I will take pics of the process and post for interest.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had something powder coated once and they heated the part up to 400 degrees to cure it or something. I am afraid that the heat would warp and dry out up the components of the new rear end. If it was an empty housing I would think it would be OK. I agree it would be better to powder coat it. I think I am going to enjoy working with an air gun for the first time in my garage though....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts