Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a ? about the saginaw 3 speed that's go'in in my project sport truck, the 3 speed that i have is the 3.11 first gear ratio gear box that came out from behind an inline-6 motor that i pulled out of my truck in faver of a 350 sbc. I also have access to a saginaw 3 speed that came out of a 1972 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup that's set up for a transfercase and has the 2.85 first gear ratio. I guess what i'm get'in at is can i remove just the gear's from the out put shaft in the 4x4 case along with the counter shaft, and put the gear's back on the out put shaft of my saginaw 3 speed that goes in my 2 wheel drive pickup, i mean should'nt both shaft's be the same in the caseing erea, and different in the tail shaft section be'ins one is a 4x4 tranny, and the other is a 2x4 type tranny?(Please Advise):confused: :thumbup:

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I think I got lost somewhere in there, but I think your question is that you want to put the 2.85 gears in your current 3.11 trans.

I don't see why they wouldn't work. Third gear (input shaft) is 1:1 in both. Second gear may be different, but you could change that out too, along with the countershaft.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts