Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A few days ago i bid on a set of cylinder heads on ebay, i managed to be the highest bidder when the auction ended and i contacted the seller to get a shipping quote (no big deal since i won the heads pretty cheap), the problem is that he replies "sorry, no deal on the heads", basically he now wants four times as much as the final bid to sell the heads to me.

I'v contacted ebay and they say they can't help me...

I thought winning an auction was supposed to be a binding contract? but after this it seems that sellers can just claim that the final price wasn't high enough and refuse to sell it to you...

The auction had no reserve i might ad, and the seller chose not to end it early even though he was able to see that the price wasn't as high as he wanted.

What should i do? :(

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,738 Posts
Sad to say that if Ebay won't help you you are SOOL I bought an engine that was advertised as being checked out and a ready to go 350. Turned out to be a locked up 305. If I would have completly reassembled the engine and made another 12 hr round trip I could have got my money back. The seller would not comromise at all. He said I should have checked it out before loading it up. He had it in the air when I pulled in to pick it up.
Did not matter at all to ebay that the engine was not at all what it was advertised to be. Hope that you aren't out any money .

·
Administrator
8,239 Posts
Not sure. E Bay did the same to me a few years ago. I sold a 1963 Falcon, or so I thought. Dude showed up at the house and said he didn't want it.
I got stuck paying final sale fee and all, and didn't sell the car.
E Bay got their money, me ...not so much.

·
Administrator
8,239 Posts
Sad to say that if Ebay won't help you you are SOOL I bought an engine that was advertised as being checked out and a ready to go 350. Turned out to be a locked up 305. If I would have completly reassembled the engine and made another 12 hr round trip I could have got my money back. The seller would not comromise at all. He said I should have checked it out before loading it up. He had it in the air when I pulled in to pick it up.
Did not matter at all to ebay that the engine was not at all what it was advertised to be. Hope that you aren't out any money .
If you paid with Paypal you may have been eligible for buyer protection and been able to get a refund. Some Items are eligible for buyer protection and some aren't.
E Bay Has a site map and it lists pretty much everything you need to know

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since i never got a quote for the shipping from him i haven't paid, so i guess that's lucky... but i'm still really bummed about it...

·
Administrator
8,239 Posts
Somehow, he has to cancel the sale. Look to see if feedback is active so you can leave a negative.
You have to allow him to cancel the transaction. Do some homework on the site.
He may have BS ed the E bay people and said Item was no longer available.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got of the phone with ebay, now all of a sudden they are more than eager to help, so they submitted a report and will get back to me in 24-78 hours

He also confirmed that a winning bid is binding for both parts involved and the only one who can back out of a deal is the buyer in case the item is not as described and/or damaged.

so, hoping for the best... i still want the damned things...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Somehow, he has to cancel the sale. Look to see if feedback is active so you can leave a negative.
You have to allow him to cancel the transaction. Do some homework on the site.
He may have BS ed the E bay people and said Item was no longer available.

I'm able to leave feedback, i'll wait a bit though since ebay now has decided to try and help. he doesn't seem to be a seasoned ebayer, 0 rating after 3 years of membership.

·
Administrator
8,239 Posts
He also confirmed that a winning bid is binding for both parts involved and the only one who can back out of a deal is the buyer in case the item is not as described and/or damaged.
Right. But he has to send you request to cancel, so it starts with him.
At least your getting some action. Now its time to wait. Just be Punctual .

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,738 Posts
If you paid with Paypal you may have been eligible for buyer protection and been able to get a refund. Some Items are eligible for buyer protection and some aren't.
E Bay Has a site map and it lists pretty much everything you need to know
I had paid with PayPal . But still got the results detailed below. I was able to rebuild the 305 by the way. It's just that I had in faith paid for a 350 vortec. Much more about this than you want to hear. The guy had posted a no refund policy . But he sold me something other than what he claimed that it was. Lie after lie and then refused to give me a refund. Ebay said I had to return it in the condition I received it in. Should have stuck the heads and covers and intake on and put the rest of the parts in the oil pan and brought it back. He would have not known the difference since it wouldn't turn over.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had paid with PayPal . But still got the results detailed below. I was able to rebuild the 305 by the way. It's just that I had in faith paid for a 350 vortec. Much more about this than you want to hear. The guy had posted a no refund policy . But he sold me something other than what he claimed that it was. Lie after lie and then refused to give me a refund. Ebay said I had to return it in the condition I received it in. Should have stuck the heads and covers and intake on and put the rest of the parts in the oil pan and brought it back. He would have not known the difference since it wouldn't turn over.
S**t--reassembly would have taken me about 30min. Putting that thing together "in no particular order":mwink:, with impact gun and back in the back of my PU and dropped on the ground at that knuckleheads house.

Sooner, or later, a-- clowns like him ALWAYS get their just due!:spank:

I've, so far, had nothing be good results with ePay. Sold, and bought, a TON of stuff. I have also walked away from "too good to be true" deals for that very reason. I, always, pay close attention to the sellers profile. If they have sold only a few things, or have less than 99.5% positive feedback I leave them alone.

Also, pay close attention to what they've sold and what they are selling. If I see that the seller offers mostly toys and such, but is offering something like a transmission, I steer clear. Use some good common sense and a big dose of skepticism, and you should be OK with ebay.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
i know what your talking about too...

and it sucks when a seller out right lies.. for me before bidding on the fairlane i called the seller twice with questions.. everything sounded great and he keep saying it was restored about 5 yrs ago. well it was painted 5 yrs ago.. and that's it.. took a week to get the lights and p/s sys to work before going to DMV. the top didn't go all the way up.. fixed... windows didn't go all the way up.. fixed.. etc etc.. and him being in boise Idaho was not just down the street for me.. now a complete rebuild of engine.. so much for restored..

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,738 Posts
S**t--reassembly would have taken me about 30min. Putting that thing together "in no particular order":mwink:, with impact gun and back in the back of my PU and dropped on the ground at that knuckleheads house.

Sooner, or later, a-- clowns like him ALWAYS get their just due!:spank:

I've, so far, had nothing be good results with ePay. Sold, and bought, a TON of stuff. I have also walked away from "too good to be true" deals for that very reason. I, always, pay close attention to the sellers profile. If they have sold only a few things, or have less than 99.5% positive feedback I leave them alone.

Also, pay close attention to what they've sold and what they are selling. If I see that the seller offers mostly toys and such, but is offering something like a transmission, I steer clear. Use some good common sense and a big dose of skepticism, and you should be OK with ebay.

Good advice there. The guy had a 100 % satisfaction review. Throuble is that he is a flea bayer. Sells trinkets. First he said put it together and bring it back. Then he changed his mind and said I should have used his tools and checked it out before I let him load it up. Said that he had a no return policy. What a total jerk. I paid $600.oo for engine and 700R4 trans. Would have been a good deal if it had been 5.7 Vortec in good running condition like he said it was. I admit I was taken and my fault for being too trusting. He couldn't find the ID numbers on the engine even after I told him where to look. NEVER NEVER EVER AGAIN.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Problem is that Ebay is set up on a Marxist philosophy. They will not do anything for you or to him for not following through with your contract to buy. They only want their fees and proceed as the monopoly that they are.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,320 Posts
I hate this happened and would be just as upset had it been me but I would hate to not have Ebay around. I have bought a ton of stuff on Ebay and am thousands of dollars ahead from being able to do so.

I had told my wife I would like to have a good production staple gun for Christmas and decided on a BeA 71 series gun that DanTwoLakes speaks well of. My wife was about to order one when I found one on Ebay and won the bid for 61 dollars. Less than half of the best price we had found. Multiply that by many transactions and I have nothing but good expeiences with Ebay.

Unfortunately there are $ht hds every where in this world and we will always have to remember "let the buyer beware." I hate this happened but it would be impossible for Ebay to arbitrate all situations and I understand why they follow certain guidelines. The buyer or seller that would lie to a customer would lie to Ebay about the circumstnaces....Both buyer and seller.

My wife used to be a real estate agent and there was a saying around the office. "Buyers are liers and sellers are too."

At least with Ebay we have feedback from previous customers to go by.

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hate this happened and would be just as upset had it been me but I would hate to not have Ebay around. I have bought a ton of stuff on Ebay and am thousands of dollars ahead from being able to do so.

I had told my wife I would like to have a good production staple gun for Christmas and decided on a BeA 71 series gun that DanTwoLakes speaks well of. My wife was about to order one when I found one on Ebay and won the bid for 61 dollars. Less than half of the best price we had found. Multiply that by many transactions and I have nothing but good expeiences with Ebay.

Unfortunately there are $ht hds every where in this world and we will always have to remember "let the buyer beware." I hate this happened but it would be impossible for Ebay to arbitrate all situations and I understand why they follow certain guidelines. The buyer or seller that would lie to a customer would lie to Ebay about the circumstnaces....Both buyer and seller.

My wife used to be a real estate agent and there was a saying around the office. "Buyers are liers and sellers are too."

John
This is all very true....but the feedback system has really turned into a crock o' .... I have bought and sold a bunch of stuff over the years. Recently sold an item with fixed shipping I think it was $5....it states $5 shipping in the description. Guy bids, re-bids several times, wins, then *****es about shipping cost, I told him it was clearly marked $5 from the beginning. He pays, then gives me negative feedback...that's a foul. Ebay said there is nothing they can do about it.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,398 Posts

John
I couldn't agree more John. I have bought and sold thousands of things on eBay (I have just shy of 1000 feedback) I am thankful for the access to the stuff I have gotten and the buyers who have bought stuff from me so I had money to buy things I need.

And a HUGE majority of those sales and purchases were great. And I have had a few of purchases that collapsed and sales as well, but with SO MANY that were good, I will live with it.

One thing I learned years ago buying stuff through Hemmings motor news years ago (did a LOT of buying and selling there too) that the trick to buying something you can't touch is to ACCEPT a poor quality product. Accept the fact that when it comes it will be bent or rusty or what ever, accept that fact and when it comes and it IS not as good as you thought by the ad you won't be disappointed. But when it comes and it IS as good as what was advertised it's a gift and you are thrilled!

That's how I look at it and it's worked great for me.

Brian

·
16,398 Posts
This is all very true....but the feedback system has really turned into a crock o' .... I have bought and sold a bunch of stuff over the years. Recently sold an item with fixed shipping I think it was $5....it states $5 shipping in the description. Guy bids, re-bids several times, wins, then *****es about shipping cost, I told him it was clearly marked $5 from the beginning. He pays, then gives me negative feedback...that's a foul. Ebay said there is nothing they can do about it.
I have had that happen too, I sold a vintage Harley headlamp and right in the ad it clearly said the ring was reproduction. You guessed it, the jerk left me negative feedback because the ring was reproduction. :drunk:

I haven't thought about that since a few days after it happen til right now, why, because it doesn't matter one single bit in the big picture. And I remember there being others, but don't remember the details. A HUGE majority of people are kind and honest and that one guy being a jerk doesn't change that.

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,320 Posts
Anytime I decide to bid on an Ebay item I read all fo the sellers negative feed back. Usually there is a good indication of whether or not they are honest and dependable. Usually there is one or 2 negative comments but you can tell (at least so far) whether there is a pattern of poor behavior or not.

So far I have never left a seller negative feed back but I think that is partly because I do my best to reasearch the seller before I bid.

LOL, I just bought a pretty expensive rechromed grill. Before I had bid on it I had looked the seller up on the internet, knew how old he was, where he lived and discovered his wife was in charge of the community Christmas dinner. :D

Of course, all that told me was he was an active member of his community but it did make me a little more comfortable bidding on a high dollar item I could not fondle first. :) That said, I am sure someday I am going to get bit. There is always somebody out there willing to screw the other guy but so far Ebay has been a wonderful source for me.

John

·
16,398 Posts
Anytime I decide to bid on an Ebay item I read all fo the sellers negative feed back. Usually there is a good indication of whether or not they are honest and dependable. Usually there is one or 2 negative comments but you can tell (at least so far) whether there is a pattern of poor behavior or not.

So far I have never left a seller negative feed back but I think that is partly because I do my best to reasearch the seller before I bid.

LOL, I just bought a pretty expensive rechromed grill. Before I had bid on it I had looked the seller up on the internet, knew how old he was, where he lived and discovered his wife was in charge of the community Christmas dinner. :D

Of course, all that told me was he was an active member of his community but it did make me a little more comfortable bidding on a high dollar item I could not fondle first. :) That said, I am sure someday I am going to get bit. There is always somebody out there willing to screw the other guy but so far Ebay has been a wonderful source for me.

John
You reminded me of a guy who left me negative feedback once years ago when I said something about the license plate I got from him being much more rusted than he described, even though I did this with POSITIVE feedback. This was when you could leave negative feedback for buyers, you can't even do that anymore. But this POS left me negative! LOL Jerk, but there are a few and that is just doing business.

Brian

1 - 20 of 34 Posts