Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's the situation. I'm in need of some better transportation and I"m not going to have much money. First off I'm driving a mini van with 160,000 miles on it and the trans is starting to slip. On the other hand I've got my project truck I'm working on that I wasn't planning on using for a Daly driver. I could either spend $1,500 - $2,000 on a car or use that money to fix up my truck. Where I live it's hard to find a reliable car under $4,000. Well I guess my options are sell my truck and find a car or fix my truck and drive it.. What would some of you guys do?? :confused:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PONCHO62, it's an s-10 with a 350 sbc. Well, my girlfriend and I car pull so I don't drive too much in the winter. I guess my question leans more towards I've got a chance ( and only one) within the next few months to spend some money on my truck and fix it up , like I've always wanted to. I'm afraid if I don't then I'll never be able to. I've had some (what I would consider ) some nice cars in the past that I never had the opportunity to fix up. I had to sell them for certain reasons. I just don't want to give my truck up...

·
Ford Man to the bone!!!
112 Posts
I've got a saying...

"You can't party yesterday!"

There are so many times in my 55 years I could look back and say..."Wish I had of..." Do not let time get wasted or thrown away. In my opinion you should cease the moment. Build that Cheby today...don't HOPE there will be another day.

·
Registered
547 Posts
sounds like you are wanting someone to give you permission to finish the truck.. consider yourself talked into fixing up the s-10 :D

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Well.......I was gonna give you some very wise and serious, mature advice that made real good sense..................................................then I read what BadRat said and thought...the heck with it. :D Fix up the S-10

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
If you are looking for excuses for not fixing the truck, just say anything and do nothing. "excuses only satisfy the person that makes them"

Al

"GIT R DONE"

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
There are good reliable thousand dollar vehicles out there ( I'm in Il too. ) but sorting the good from the bad is a real crap shoot. I'm 1 for 4 on my last few, fortunately they were a parts hauler for me and "first" cars for the youngest not our main transportation. The parts hauler and his true "first" car both blew head gaskets. The truck will live again but his older brother was borrowing the car while his truck was being worked on and drove the car for 2 weeks before he mentioned it was "smoking"....... :eek: Crankcase full of Prestone, it went to the crusher. "First" car No. 2 he tore the crap out of plus it had a rash of driveline and suspension breakages ( some of a "suspicious" nature shall we say.....) but it will get repaired and used for emergency backup. He beat the hell out of it, it was rusty but straight but now there isn't a panel on it that doesn't have a dent or ding, he pulled the dash apart to put a CD player in after I told him you couldn't mount an in dash player in it, it would have to go under the dash. Well his friends were smarter than me so they proceeded to install the radio anyway, they got half the dash ripped apart and realized you can't install an in-dash player in this model car so they stop. They don't put anything back together, they just stop where they were. He claims he doesn't know where the factory AM/FM cassette is but at least the rest of the parts were still laying in the back seat and trunk. It looks like total crap and but he drove it 5,000 miles without an oil change and never checked the oil :pain: , BUT.... it didn't use a drop and the transaxle works perfectly and doesn't leak a drop so the engine and trans are worth keeping but with 145,000 not worth pulling to put in something nicer. The fuel pump died and a rear strut bearing broke so Mom decided we should just buy a different car. Made perfect sense to me, kid tears the crap out of what had been an easily cleaned up car and makes it look like a U-Pull-A-Part reject so we'll buy him a nicer one.......... You betcha'! :rolleyes: Anyway I already had new front struts, brakes, drive axle and ball joints in it so I figured might as well fix the pump (done) and rear stuts and drive the wheels off it and get something for my money. You don't want a nice car where I park at work anyway. "First" car No. 3 has been pretty good except he got rear ended but their insurance fixed it and his warped and scratched rear bumper got replaced with a nice one no charge to us so that was cool. He is taking pretty good care of it so I guess he learned something from the last car but it has developed an oil leak at the oil pan that rivals the Exon Valdez so it looks like we'll be dropping the oil pan in the near future. At least it's easy to get to on this one. Pull the starter out of the way and there it is. :cool:

Considering my vehicle luck lately I'm probably the last guy that should give advice but if 1,500-2,000 will make your S-10 a reliable (and affordable ) driver to get you by until your situation improves then go for it. It's better for them to get driven than to just sit and rot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
need some advise

Advise is worth what you pay for it. so here is my 2 cents worth. Get the S10 on the road and continue to fix it up as you go, not necessarily spending 2 big ones right off the bat. Animal

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Fix the truck and don't look back.
As you read the replies to any questions on any hotrod forum, you will see two basically different mindsets. One is that it's a hobby and the other is it's a lifestyle. I say drive the hotrod and pay the price, it's worth it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who responded. I do appreciated the advice. I believe I will fix my truck up. I am however going to do it slowly and enjoy it instead of stressing out over what's the right thing to do or not, here's some pix. They're not very good as I took them with my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would look for a different intake manifold if you are planning on a winter/summer daily driver. That might be a bit cold-natured. It's do-able, but unpleasant sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts