Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all of you car fans:)
i need some engine decode if someone here can help me will be great..
so all the numbers that i have
235 L6 chevy
1.-there is a numbers on the intake manifold(may be helpfull)-8754944 GM

2.-passenger side of the engine-close to oil unit,close to 3rd spark plug-824848(as you see at photo)
3.oposite side of the engine,same place ( but on driver side)-836848
4,Down pass side left ,owner says may be-GM E 198(hard to take photo or see..
here is one photo may be helpfull.:

need to know which year,(55,56,57,58,59,60,61,or 62)and may be more info comming with this numbers.
hope somebody here help..
thanx a lot
and best regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)

Im not so good at engine decodes,numbers and all..(engines is not my best side:)..i really dont know how to recognize exact from numbers sorry..:(
may be some L6 mechanic,or expert..:confused:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Hello all of you car fans:)
i need some engine decode if someone here can help me will be great..
so all the numbers that i have
235 L6 chevy
1.-there is a numbers on the intake manifold(may be helpfull)-8754944 GM

2.-passenger side of the engine-close to oil unit,close to 3rd spark plug-824848(as you see at photo)
3.oposite side of the engine,same place ( but on driver side)-836848
4,Down pass side left ,owner says may be-GM E 198(hard to take photo or see..
here is one photo may be helpfull.:

need to know which year,(55,56,57,58,59,60,61,or 62)and may be more info comming with this numbers.
hope somebody here help..
thanx a lot
and best regards
Look here for info on where to look for the engine codes.

Here are some links to help you ID it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I could not say for sure but ,the plugs look like peanut plugs ,and wires look to be for electromic ignition ,does it have an ittergrated head ,or seprate head and intake .from the aperance looks like late 70s or early 80 to me ,thats just my opinion

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
The integrated head was used '75-up.

There were a few years (1971-'74) that had the 5/8" hex peanut plug AND the non integrated head.

The integrated heads were 1-barrel until about '79 when the Varijet staged 2-barrel began to be used.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Hi everyone !!! According to me plugs look like peanut plugs ,and wires look to be for electronic ignition ,does it have an gritted head ,or separate head and intake .from the aperance looks like late 70s or early 80 to me , that's just my opinion........
What's with the copy and pasted reply...from PAKISTAN, ISLAMABAD??? :smash:

Looking like a troll from here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hm:)

may be just some copy paste story:smash:
i thought 848 heads was common for a 56 till 62 chevy inline 6 engines...
or not?

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
There's a head casting number 3836848 (found under the valve cover, BTW) used on the '62 235. Considered to be a good head. Look under the v-cover for the c/n if you want to get exact on what the head is. The casting numbers you found will sometimes have the same last numbers as the main casting number under the cover, but there's no guarantee on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:)

There's a head casting number 3836848 (found under the valve cover, BTW) used on the '62 235.

Wow.are u sure?from where you get those info man..I try to find some about 836848 head via internet,forums,google,just 56-62 chevy inline 6..,,Nothing.more..
if you are sure about that---mistery solved!!can you tell me more about this engine,and head.(will buy it)...any specifications,links,what to look for,what to be take care for,good and bad points.(if you know of course).?
best regards

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
There's a head casting number 3836848 (found under the valve cover, BTW) used on the '62 235.

Wow.are u sure?from where you get those info man..I try to find some about 836848 head via internet,forums,google,just 56-62 chevy inline 6..,,Nothing.more..
if you are sure about that---mistery solved!!
Im seeing the casting number being found outside the valve cover, so there's no need to take the cover off to find the c/n. As you can tell, I am not an inline guru.:p

The number you read as "824848" is actually B24 848. The B24 is a date code, it breaks down as Feb. 2, 1964 I do believe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts