Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 305 vin h 4bbl quadra jet carb. Here is the question. It runs ok in park or nuetral but when you put it in gear it idles really bady. I have adjusted the idle screw and replaced the spark plugs, dist cap, rotor, and coil. What should I do next. I have also just replaced the fuel filter to make sure it wasn't that. It goes from 1.5 k to 800 rpm when put into gear and sounds like it is missing.
Would a leaking valve cover gasket do this?
Your inputs are greatly appreatiated, for I am not a true machanic I just like to pretend.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
I'm thinking vacuum leak too...........with it running, spray some quick start around the bottom of the carb. If the engine speeds up, you have leaks. Probably a cracked hose or something. Those mid 80s had a million hoses on them

·
Registered
169 Posts
Please give some more info on your setup. Is this a stock motor and trans? Any aftermarket parts (cam, intake, headers, transmission)?

I had the same problem with my Caprice, and spent weeks hunting for a vacuum leak to no result. Then, I discovered that when I put my transmission in, I used the wrong torque converter. Hopefully swapping this out will take car of everything.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.