Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. I'll start by saying hi! Anyways, the problem I am having. My dad and I redid a 67 Camaro with a stock 327 and original 2bbl carb. Last week, we finally decided to install a new Edelbrock Intake and 600cfm Carb. Everything was good, and we got it all installed. It starts up and all, so we were happy with that. Problem is, the car idles rough, and also has a bog when the secondaries open. If your going up hill under load and have it at WOT, the minute you come to a stop, it starts to idle very rough. I'm getting really lost on the next thigns to try, lol. I thought Edelbrock was bolt on out of the box, haha. Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated. I also have timed the eninge to about 8 degrees initial advance. Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Runs rough

Welcome to the board.
Now not trying to be a smart but when you have a car that was running okay and you changed something just backtrack yourself a little you will find it's probably something simple.
Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. Take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the intake and the carb and see if it smooths out. Where ever you spray and it smooths out then you know where to start.
The Edelbrock Intakes are a simple bolt on right out of the box. Of course I realize everyone gets their first one. The head mounting surfaces being extremley clean, good quality intake gaskets, and a proper torque sequence on the intake.
Spray around the base of the carb and any vacuum line's or fittings.
If you don't get a change in the engine by spraying the cleaner then look at your timing again and make sure your not a tooth out on the dist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dist a tooth out

Now, I'm trying to think this through in my head, and its getting confusin, haha. Just to clarify, even if I was a tooth out on the dist, wouldn't just turning the dist houseing be able to take up the tooth? Let me know, I'm going to give your suggestion a try. Thanks alot!

Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Runs rough

If you are out 1 tooth it makes a big difference, turning the dist. to try compensate for it just makes matters worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are out 1 tooth it makes a big difference, turning the dist. to try compensate for it just makes matters worse.

I don't understand this 100%. If the dist. was out a tooth, why wouldn't you be able to move the cap over that amount of degrees so that the rotor still past the terminal at the right moment? Is anyone able to explain this to me please. Thanks for all the great help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts