Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1965 Impala SS Convertible
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 lincoln towncar,have no clue what motor or trans,it had no problem driving last night just heard a sound like something was rubbing.this morning i pulled out of the driveway and one street down it start making this really loud grinding type of noise.When I put it in reverse it doesnt do it till I hit the gas but does it right away when put it in drive,what could it be?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Start to check for the simplest... an stone stuck some where in the disk/drum brakes. Or, some broken adjuster nut/bolt/washer in the rear drum.
/Pete

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I think I'd jack up the car and look underneath for loose mounts, areas where metal parts are rubbing, metal shavings etc.
Does the noise vary with the road speed?
Does it vary with engine speed?
Does it do it in gear when stopped?
Does it make the noise in neutral?
Does it do it when you apply the brakes?
Does it get worse under acceleration?
Did it come on suddenly, or gradually?
Have you checked your rear axle lube lately?
Does the oil have metal flakes?

Later, mikey

·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought the car last week.I noticed that when I would let off the gas,the noise would get lower and almost where you couldnt hear it.When I accelerate is when the noise gets louder.So I got the car back to the house and when I put it in drive,the drive shaft spins even when the car is is drive and not driving.The noise is definently coming from the rear end of the car.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Yeah if the drive shaft spins and doesn't drive the car forward.....it's a pretty good guess that it is in the rear end. :rolleyes:

Mikey

·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a rear end from the junkyard and it was already taken out when i got there...They cut the lines for the E-brake and i think they locked on because i cant get the brake drum off on either side.What do i need to do to get it off?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
If the hammer doesn't work, and the drums turn, then reach in through the brake adjuster access hole in the backing plate with a screwdriver, push the star wheel ratchet off of the wheel and back the adjuster off a few turns with an adjusting spoon. There is usually a ridge on the drums. That is why the brake drums probably wont come off.

You can take a grinder to the end of the brake cable and grind off the melted part if that is what is really holding the shoes from retracting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts