Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am almost confident i have the wrong starter on my motor and i need a part number

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Since chevy used 2 different flexplates and starters, a single part number isn`t going to do you much good. You need to know what flywheel/flexplate you have. If you have the 12 inch 153 tooth you`ll need the straight pattern starter, if you have the 14 inch 168 tooth you`ll need the staggered pattern starter. since chevy parts interchange, and if your engine had possibly been in more hands than just yours then either could have been used.

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
I have a monte Carlo with a 350 in it I need a starter that work and don't grind on flywheel I have already tried part# dl35105 what kind of starter will I need
If the engine has a 153 tooth flywheel the starter has 2 bolts in a straight line.

If the engine has the 168 tooth flywheel the stater has 2 bolts staggered.

Most blocks are drilled for both so that isn't helpful in determining which flywheel diameter is on the engine.

If you're having starter engagement problems and you know the starter on the engine is not the original then you need to drop the bottom cover and count teeth on the ring gear. That will take rotating the engine so bring a tool made for that purpose or a large screw driver to do it one tooth at a time without the tool. If you can measure the ring gear diameter the 14 inch will be the 168 tooth while the 12-3/4 will be the 153 tooth.

The other problem is engagement mesh depth, the starter pinion should fully engage length wise and should have .050 inch clearance of pinion tooth crown to ring gear tooth base when engaged.

The 1988 (Corvette 87) and older engines use the huge old starter motor, the newer engines use a mini starter, they interchange as long as you get the mount right for the ring gear diameter. The older big heavy motor uses a brace from the back side (brush end) of the motor to the block the new small motor does not.

Bogie

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Last 2 OE-style gear reduction starters I installed needed shims to get the engagement right. I had to go back to Zee PartsHaus to get shims. So; if your starter doesn't come with them, BUY THEM since it will save you the frustration and gasoline of getting them later. Make sure you're using ACTUAL starter bolts please.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Original starter number for your block is #119497. Thats a Delco part #. Walked out to the shop & wrote the number down.---:thumbup:
Kind of a broad statement

4 starters for any given chevy small block

153 tooth flexplate
168 tooth flexplate

153 tooth flywheel
168 tooth flywheel

Big blocks should only have the big flywheels and flexplates

Automatic transmissions and manual transmissions use different starters
Actually--the starter nose is different between the AT and MT

of course back in the 50s---it was a different starter altogether as it actually mounted to the bellhousing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.