Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a th400 crossmember that will fit my 1972 chevy nova? If so, please include shipping to South Gate, California 90280. It could be used as long as it is still in good condition. My e-mail is [email protected]

I am planning on replacing my shot th350 with a th400.

thanks....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at my current set up with the th350, I noticed that my crossmember looks nothing like the ones that are used for the th400. The one I have is kind of straight were the other kind that I see on ebay have a "U" on it that helps with the clearance of the trans oil pan.

You think that I can still use the crossmember that I have without modifing it?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Your Nova uses the same crossmember as a '67-69 Camaro w/T400. They are available at Camaro restoration parts dealers. They were only used with big-block cars, which had the motors offset to the right a little bit, so you may have to enlarge the holes on the trans mounting tab.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Not sure about the Nova, but that year in pickup trucks had the frame drilled for different trannys and you just slide the crossmember to match the holes in the frame when going from say a Turbo 350 to a Turbo 400.

Trees

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
The crooked, oval cross member was used on big block with 400.
Every thing else used the flat cross member.

Troy

·
2,643 Posts
If yours is a SB, then your old member will move back to another set of holes and work.

Troy

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
On a '72 Nova, there is only one set of holes in the subframe for crossmember mounting. The T400 crossmember just has the center trans mount holes farther to the rear, & is shaped different due to the size & shape of the T400 trans.

The '68-'72 Nova uses the same subframe as a '67-'69 Camaro, & the crossmembers work on either car. I got one for my '69 Nova from Rick's (also stole the pic from them) about 3 years ago for ~$50.

·
2,643 Posts
The picture jimfulco posted is for a big block, will not fit a small block. You may have to change the tail housing for one that has the mount in a different location.

Troy

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I have one of those in a '69 Nova with a 327. The factory only used them with big-blocks because they only used T400's with big-blocks in Camaros & Novas. The mount pad is offset a little farther to the right than the small-block crossmember (which looks totally different), due to the big-block engine mount brackets, which place the engine farther to the right than a small-block. I had to enlarge the holes in the mount pad so they would line up with the trans mount. My T400 came from a '67 Impala & has the 4" tailshaft housing. I don't think the longer T400's will fit at all.

Check with Rick's http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-loc...ion.htm?L+scstore+bpqs7265ff2fdd2f+1097854670 (look at the bottom of the list at the left of the page & click on "Crossmembers & Rear Mounts")

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies and information. I'm going to go ahead with the new crossmember, it sounds like i'll just have to do a little mods to make it fit. If that doesn't work there is alway this option....:smash:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
You can easily modify your th350 crossmember to fit. Can you weld? or know anyone that can? If so just modify the crossmember you have. Cut the mounting ear off and move it to the other side of the crossmember. It will take an hour max to do it. A little grinding and a couple welds.

Royce

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.