Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a nice exhaust for my truck but the bolt on cat back systems are not cheap. I don't want to pay $400 for a muffler and a pipe only to find that it sounds like a red neck special. Is there not a web site that lets you hear these different muffler brands and models? I was thinking of chasing down some guy when I liked the sound of his truck and see what he was running but that always ends up being weird....

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
Different engine, different sound......Only way you can judge is to hear someone else's that has the same as you have....even then, its not guaranteed

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
poncho62 said:
Different engine, different sound......Only way you can judge is to hear someone else's that has the same as you have....even then, its not guaranteed
yep, never know until you put them on your car. I put a Thrush turbo on my '67 6cyl Falcon 200 Engine, was supposto be a great sounding muffler, ended up having a huge exhaust drone, but a glasspack was the temp fix for that. I'll be using a Dynomax round 2 chamber muffler on it next, after I get the turbo engine back togther ( same 200, just will be turbocharged with a few extra's such as full roller rockers, dual roller timing chain and a custom grind cam, just for the turbo ). I can only guess that it's gonna sound good. :D

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
poncho62 said:
I know dangit! Thats what makes it such a hard buy. How can you know? The average cat back exhaust is $400. I can only afford to do this once. I need to get it right. How do you decide? Brand name? Price? Reputation?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.