Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing to press some bushings into a C4 corvette A-Frame and my vice is not able to do it at least as far as I have figured out. Was wondering if any of you guys have come up with a mom and pop solution and would like to share?
I could buy a press but really have no room for one. I am putting new bushings in a corvette suspension and then using those parts on my 55.1 GMC RestoMod project. Would appreciate and input ! thanks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Is the whole package too big for the vice? Or do you just need more power to push?

A lot of times you can put the part in the freezer which shrinks it, so it takes less pressure to get seated in the hole.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not familiar with the suspension design, but is there any way you could use a ball joint press? You can borrow one free from one of the parts stores.
I’m not familiar with the suspension design, but is there any way you could use a ball joint press? You can borrow one free from one of the parts stores.
I will borrow a ball joint press to do my lower ball joints but my problem at the moment is pressing in synthetic bushing in my upper A frame.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the whole package too big for the vice? Or do you just need more power to push?

A lot of times you can put the part in the freezer which shrinks it, so it takes less pressure to get seated in the hole.
These are synthetic bushings , not sure if that approach will work on them. the more pliable they are the better

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Threaded rod, washers, nuts, piece of tubing that will fit between the a-arms and provide support and a little grease.

Assemble the threaded rod with a nut and washer on one side, slide it in and through the support tubing, then out the other side of the a-arm. Place the bushing in place, then two washers with a touch of grease between them and the last nut. I find it helpful to clamp the other end of the threaded rod into my bench vice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Threaded rod, washers, nuts, piece of tubing that will fit between the a-arms and provide support and a little grease.

Assemble the threaded rod with a nut and washer on one side, slide it in and through the support tubing, then out the other side of the a-arm. Place the bushing in place, then two washers with a touch of grease between them and the last nut. I find it helpful to clamp the other end of the threaded rod into my bench vice.
I just got back from the hardware store with very close to that set up minus the support tubing. It did'nt work for me cause of the thick lip on the bushing, maybe the support tubing is the trick! I don't have time to mess with it now but I will let you know! Thanks

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
I just got back from the hardware store with very close to that set up minus the support tubing. It did'nt work for me cause of the thick lip on the bushing, maybe the support tubing is the trick! I don't have time to mess with it now but I will let you know! Thanks
You gotta have something to support the inner side of the a-arm and the end of the bushing needs to be able to go inside it. Some guys use two pieces of angle iron to make a box but I never had any real luck with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK made time and yes after tweeking my exicution we have a winner!!!
You gotta have something to support the inner side of the a-arm and the end of the bushing needs to be able to go inside it. Some guys use two pieces of angle iron to make a box but I never had any real luck with it.
These bushings have been a pain all the way around, drilling the old ones out and getting the new Super Pro one installed! I'm sure in the end it will have been all worth it but I have pulled a few hairs out figuring how to get these installed! Thanks for all your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.