Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably the dumbest question ever. Do manual trans. have a neutral safety switch? I'm going to the track for the first time on wed march 7th and Im going through the street class rules and it says neutral safety switch is mandatory. I have a 69 ss camaro with a Muncie 4speed. I know I am supposed to have a switch on the shift linkage for the reverse lights but never came across a neutral safety switch.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Yes there is a safety switch to keep the starter from turning the motor when the clutch is not depressed. It is there it keep the car from lurching forward if someone trys to start it while it is in gear. :nono:

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
chirpn69 said:
the car will attempt to start(leap forward) in all gears without pressing the cluch pedal. Is there somthing im missing?
Yes ...
It sounds like someone has by-passed that clutch safety switch that Weirdbeard was telling you about. :nono:

The engine should not crank without the clutch pedal pressed to the floor.

I tried to find a switch picture for you, but came up empty on Standard (Blue Streak), NAPA, and Autozone websites.

I DID finally find it! (I think.) :thumbup:
(I'm kind of a persistant son-of-a-gun partsman) :D

Apparently they used a

rod

to connect the clutch pedal TO the

switch

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

After you locate the CSS, (look under the dash, at the front or rear of the clutch pedal travel) to insure it is correctly wired, There will be a wire coming from the Ignition switch, from the "Hot In Start Only" terminal, this wire will go to one side of the CSS, and only have power on it when the key is in "Start mode".

The other side of the switch will (Should) Only have power on it when the ignition switch is in "Start" only AND the Clutch is depressed..(or having a bad day.. :D ) This wire goes to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid.

It is possible to have both, NSS and CSS, There a few aftermarket makers that have bolt on NSS for about any transmission. so you may want to look "down under also for an "Extra switch" not being used (usually on BU lamp switch as an extra pair of contacts , 4 instead of two) You really only need one..both is over kill but nice.

It may just be that the switch is out of adjustment, and something is jamming it on..or as mentioned somebody bypassed it :sweat: not a safe environment.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Cars built prior to the late '60s only had the clutch safety switch that was located on top of the driver's neck. It generally worked well for the cars, maybe less so for some drivers. You do have to follow the proper starting sequence, but you'll learn it quickly.

Also, your engine will be happier if you start it in neutral with the clutch pedal out. Starting with the clutch disengaged is hard on the crankshaft thrust bearing.

And on the off chance that you might need to move the car out of harm's way real quick and the stinkin' engine won't start, you have the option.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
jimfulco said:
Cars built prior to the late '60s only had the clutch safety switch that was located on top of the driver's neck. It generally worked well for the cars, maybe less so for some drivers. You do have to follow the proper starting sequence, but you'll learn it quickly.
QUOTE]
Just what I was thinking. :D

·
2,785 Posts
jimfulco said:
Cars built prior to the late '60s only had the clutch safety switch that was located on top of the driver's neck.
LOL ... Well that SOUNDS good in theory, and it probably worked quite well before the days of litigation.
When was it, exactly, that people began to believe that they were not responsible for their own stupidity?

Seriously though ... Neutral Safety switches prevent a lot of pre-schoolers that don't know any better from running over their parents and siblings.

There are also stories in the paper every year about farmers getting killed by shorting across the starter solenoid of their tractor ... that they left in gear. When those things start up, you become an unsubstantial speed-bump. :(

·
2,785 Posts
chirpn69 said:
So Ive looked and there is not a switch on the clutch should I just assume that my 69 camaro did not have one
No signs that it ever had one, either?
No dangling wire connectors, shiny spots or empty holes on the pedal arm?

Perhaps you could check with GM and see if they were optional?
I wonder when they became a requirement?

In any case, you could order the parts that I found for you in a previous post if this is a feature that you desire.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
A '69 Camaro should have one. My '69 Nova does. It's under the dash, and it works directly off the pedal arm, no linkage involved. I'd expect a Camaro to be similar. I haven't seen one since about 1972, but I think there might have been a fat purple wire going to the connector.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.