Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 5 hp campbill hansfield single stage compresser that won't keep up with my air tools. I can get a replacement 2 stage pump that i can mount on my compresser for about $500.
My question is would it be worth my while?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
If your tank and motor are in good condition go for it..We replace pumps on compressors in industry on a regular basis..Check the motor rating to see if it will run the new pump..

Sam

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clarify

Sorry! What I meant to ask is how I can tell if the motor is a 5 hp.
No ware on the data plate does it say 5 hp, but it does have a sticker on the end that says 5 ph.
It is a Century motor with a 15 amp draw. I have read many articles on this subject and I am now even more confused.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have an older 5 hp campbill hansfield single stage compresser that won't keep up with my air tools. I can get a replacement 2 stage pump that i can mount on my compresser for about $500.
Ask for the manufacturers rpm recommendation for a 3hp motor then use the proper pulley to achieve that rpm.

·
Fix it until it breaks
672 Posts
Where did you get/are you getting the pump? I'm looking for one with similar ratings.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at Surplus Center.
They have an 18.25 CFM AIR COMPRESSOR TWO STAGE 5 HP for $448.95 and the shipping was not that bad.
But since then I was able to pick up a 5hp motor, 5 hp 2 stage compressor and a 60 gal tank off eBay. The guy was only about 60 miles away and everything is like new. He said that he started to build an air compressor about 8 years ago and this was all the further he got.
I needed a motor pulley, belt, pressure switch, and in tank check valve I got them from Surplus Center. Shipping is not bad both price and time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.