Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, awesome forum, I am soooo glad I found. There is a TON of great info on here. OK, so let me give you rundown in hopes for some insight into my issue....

I have a 1996 2 Door 2wd Tahoe that I just put a new 4L60E into this past week. The previous transmission was an incorrect sedan model, and completely shot. I installed the tranny, and a new converter but have no gear engagement, not even a hint. I added two quarts to the TC before I put it in, and about 7 more quarts in it after is I put it in. The transmission doesnt give any indication of engagement in any gear. And yes, all bolts are in ;) Here are some things I know....All the plugs seem to be in place except for one plug that I cant seem to find where it goes. The plug is on the drivers side, and is about 1 3/4" by 1/2", seems to be a five pin plug, with the pins in line. The other thing is the black 'box' that attaches to the shifter arm with the two plug harnesses going to it...what the heck is it? Mine is obviously cracked...what does it due? Is it supposed to be installed in any particular orientation? Also, when you start it, and try to engage a gear, then give it some gas, the speedo moves off of zero slightly, maybe up to 10 mph. I havent checked the fuse yet, but will be. This is the newest thing I have tried to sort out, and am at a loss. Please help...having this truck down really has me in a bind.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders.com

Is this a fresh rebuild on this transmission?

If you only have 9 quarts of fluid in the trans , it is low. Does the fluid read on the dip stick?

The black plastic box on the shift linkage is the MLPS = manual lever position sensor. That must function and be installed correctly so the on board computer knows what position the shifter is in. That will NOT cause a no engagement problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will try more fluid, although it does read on the dipstick, but not clearly. This is a brand new transmission, not rebuilt. If I had some sort of electrical glitch would it cause no engagement? :confused:

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
dinnc said:
Thanks, I will try more fluid, although it does read on the dipstick, but not clearly. This is a brand new transmission, not rebuilt. If I had some sort of electrical glitch would it cause no engagement? :confused:

you can completely unplug this trans and it will go into gear = reverse and forward.

check both sides of the dipstick for fluid height.

Did you bolt the converter to the flex plate , then install the transmission?

Have you called the builder on this transmission?

Is it possible for you to test pressures on this trans?

Have you loosened a cooler line at the radiator area to see if fluid pressure is there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crosley said:
you can completely unplug this trans and it will go into gear = reverse and forward.

check both sides of the dipstick for fluid height.

Did you bolt the converter to the flex plate , then install the transmission? I half way put in two bolts on the bellhousing, then bolted up the TC to the flexplate.

Have you called the builder on this transmission? Bought it second hand, I am working on that...

Is it possible for you to test pressures on this trans? How?

Have you loosened a cooler line at the radiator area to see if fluid pressure is there?
I am going to check that when I get over to the shop..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no fluid circulation in the tranny....all the fluid is just setting in the pan :confused: I guess the pump is no good? How does it work, can I replace it with the tranny in the truck? Has anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it looks like that is what happened, not sure how but after I pulled the tranny, the converter wont come out, and moves waaaay to much inside the bellhousing....what have I done?

·
World Famous VF-14
468 Posts
yea , if you had to force the trans up to the engine with the bolts you have busted the front pump. Now the trans will have to come out and be taken apart, cleaned and a new front pump installed and a new converter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.