Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to institute a new policy whereby we limit the amount of text that can be cut-and-pasted into board posts. Here's why:

1. It's against the law. It's usually illegal to grab large chunks of text like that and reproduce them, even if the original author is cited (which doesn't always happen). Enforcement of this law is not particularly common, but it still does leave us additionally vulnerable to a lawsuit.

2. It's morally wrong. Illegal or not, nobody should have their work posted without being credited. And, some people would prefer that their work not be posted at all.

3. It's inefficient. Every single word that we add to the board slows down our search functions a tiny amount. This is fine for good long tech posts, but when people are cut-and-pasting in large amounts of text, it begins to become problematic. It also slows down page load times.

4. It's unprofessional. The pro way to do it is to quote 2-3 sentences of an article, and then put a link to the full article. Like this:

POMONA – John and Ashley Force became the first father-daughter event winners in National Hot Rod Association history and Tony Schumacher and Greg Anderson set single-season win records yesterday in the 40th Auto Club World Finals drags races. John Force, 55, capped his 13th championship season by defeating Del Worsham in the Funny Car finals minutes after Ashley, 21, won the Top Alcohol Dragster title.
Full article here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20041115-9999-1s15nhra.html

Ideas?

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Gee Jon, That may inhibit the transfer of political rhetoric....

JUST KIDDINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

If I didn't bust on ya, who would? 20,000 other members? :thumbup:

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
but i really liked being subjected to gawdawful long essays from who knows where about nothing i care to read about.:rolleyes:
gimme the skinny so i can get on with it.
thanks Jon. :p

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Jon for President 2008:)

give us 2 lounges; auto-related and non-auto related since the lounge sees a lot of traffic. A good layout (I like the link below's layout better than the setup here, technical forums are more specific and humouous titles too) is at www.v8buick.com

notice they have a forum on carbs seperate form general engine, and it's more broken down. I feel HR.com with it's large numbers of members needs a system like this, (with sbc, bbc, ford, mopar, other engines, and general engines) and the forums are right up front and personal, sort of like the old layout (the new one's not a pproblem though).

the tech subjects are broken down into engine, driveline/chassis, restoration, etc. forums like that our threads will stay on the front page of a certain message board longer.

no president was ever perfect, is perfect, or ever will be. but they do their best and are generally good. Jon for 2008! who;'s with me? lol:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
Jon for President 2008:)

give us 2 lounges; auto-related and non-auto related since the lounge sees a lot of traffic. A good layout (I like the link below's layout better than the setup here, technical forums are more specific and humouous titles too) is at www.v8buick.com

notice they have a forum on carbs seperate form general engine, and it's more broken down. I feel HR.com with it's large numbers of members needs a system like this, (with sbc, bbc, ford, mopar, other engines, and general engines) and the forums are right up front and personal, sort of like the old layout (the new one's not a pproblem though).

the tech subjects are broken down into engine, driveline/chassis, restoration, etc. forums like that our threads will stay on the front page of a certain message board longer.

no president was ever perfect, is perfect, or ever will be. but they do their best and are generally good. Jon for 2008! who;'s with me? lol:thumbup:
You've got something on your nose dude....:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts