Hot Rod Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
meaning a wire stripper/cutter? You can get one at Harbor Freight for $4- it doesn't add significantly to the cost. You can also use a coupon to get one of their multimeters for free.

The best part is you can use these same tools on a LOT of projects around the house.
I guess I'm just confused because all the EFI systems I'm looking at are in the 2k range...definitely not cheaper. Unless you have something different in mind? I don't have any doubt I could do it - you just follow the instructions given with the kit, just can't find this less for more pricing.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
not defending carbs,,

If you're buying a $700 carb why would't you just go EFI instead? Pay more for less performance? Doesn't make sense.
fuel injection has many advantages
cold starts
altitude and weather adustments
fuel economy,etc

But? at WFO which system develops the most horse power?

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
fuel injection has many advantages
cold starts
altitude and weather adustments
fuel economy,etc

But? at WFO which system develops the most horse power?
Depends on the setup, I've never seen anyone reproduce the same setup from carb to efi, carb has a lot more headaches to deal with which gives efi a huge advantage in manifold design, also a "carb" is not just a carb- there are a lot of different designs and the same holds true for efi. Efi has many design advantages that should allow it to make more power, but one test will show a carb with a slight edge, the other with efi having a slight edge- it seems the superior design do to less restrictive requirements hasn't really been fully max'ed out.

And now there on direct injection which shows significant gains over both.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I guess I'm just confused because all the EFI systems I'm looking at are in the 2k range...definitely not cheaper. Unless you have something different in mind? I don't have any doubt I could do it - you just follow the instructions given with the kit, just can't find this less for more pricing.
stealth ram intake manifold- $350
injectors- $200
fuel rail- $50
throttle body- $100 for a reman, $15 for JY direct.
microsquirt controller- $340

$960-ish

VS

RPM intake manifold- $200
Carb- $700

$900- ish

Pretty much the same cost, BUT microsquirt also gives you spark control and MUCH easier tuning and better fuel management for on the road conditions.

If you are pinching pennies than going with a $400 carb may make sense if you don't plan on driving it often but a $700 carb just seems silly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
stealth ram intake manifold- $350
injectors- $200
fuel rail- $50
throttle body- $100 for a reman, $15 for JY direct.
microsquirt controller- $340

$960-ish

VS

RPM intake manifold- $200
Carb- $700

$900- ish

Pretty much the same cost, BUT microsquirt also gives you spark control and MUCH easier tuning and better fuel management for on the road conditions.

If you are pinching pennies than going with a $400 carb may make sense if you don't plan on driving it often but a $700 carb just seems silly.
I guess another difference is that I'm not having to buy the intake, I already have it, like I said previously.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I guess another difference is that I'm not having to buy the intake, I already have it, like I said previously.
that would be a significant cost difference. I still don't see why anyone would spend $700 on a carb for a pretty basic engine package when there's no money (racing) on the line. But to each their own.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts