Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Niapym said:
I understood that it was going to be any car post '76 would require smog, so anything pre '76 was ok. but this yahoo article makes it sound like everything gets smog now.
anybody have specific info on the new law?
Yeah, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

It looks VERY bad!
Schwartzie is turning out to be as bad as all the rest.
Everyone here needs to write a protest letter to the governers office! And thats no Joke!

Public outcry is the only thing he may listen to.

Has anyone had the chance to read the actual legislation? What they set the standards at will make a big difference in the effect. I wonder what lobby he is responding to. (Who's got the money this time)

This is serious!
Roy.

OK I started checking on this bill.
It was authored by Sally Lieber
Her e-mail is [email protected].

She is from my area though a little north. As far as I am concerned I will support a recall petition. I intend to post or join a thread on this on every forum I am registered in.
How did this slip past the radar! Now it's a BIG hassle getting it overturned!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bad but not so bad - maybe.

I've been checking into this new law a little more closely.

SEMA tried hard to stop it but it certainly wasn't made very public.

Studies show that older vehicles create a disproportionate amount of air pollution. The new law will permanently exempt vehicles made before the 1976 model year, while requiring that 1976 and later model cars have regular emissions inspections.
IF it's as this says it's not as bad as it first appeared.

My '75 Blazer, '68 Cougar, and '65 Mustang are clear it appears.

(See how an attitude changes when it isn't you the fingers pointed at?)

You guys with later models are getting twisted with a screwdriver though.

(also note I got the point across without using the word. LOL!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank god

that article scared the **** outta me. where'd you find the info meanroy? it doesn't effect my '70 nova or '65 el camino. i haven't been keeping up on the smog laws, but previous to today was it really any cars 30 years & older were exempt?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: thank god

Niapym said:
that article scared the **** outta me. where'd you find the info meanroy? it doesn't effect my '70 nova or '65 el camino. i haven't been keeping up on the smog laws, but previous to today was it really any cars 30 years & older were exempt?
I had to start hitting the political news sites.
What I want to know is why we didn't have a thread on this in the Lounge!

I don't read the SEMA news so I completely missed this.
I've got it bookmarked now though.

I found some comments on it at the Contra Costa times and wrote a letter to the editor regarding the consequences of having a Governator who doesn't have the cultural background that might have sensitized him to this issue a little.

California has a long history of Rodding and Automobile enthusiasts, but Austria does NOT!
He started out well but frankly I see him pandering to political interests just like the rest now.

I have friends in Austria, they say he doesn't even know about the laws and culture in his own (former) country and don't give him much respect. (Outside of his home town where they put up a statue of The Terminator)

This is the last straw for me frankly, I no longer support him. I'm sure he'll cry all the way to the bank.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Sorry to hear that guys,after many years here in Louisville,they finally removed our emissions testing this year.They FINALLY realized all along it is not so much the cars making the pollution,but big industry with their smog credits.I know it is like comparing apples and oranges to the program you in Cali.are subject to.Anyone who is into Hotrodding tries to keep current on smog laws in Cali.being that they are the groundwork for other smog cities.It is bad enough that they rape your car,make you wait in line then charge you quite a fortune to do this.I am surprised we haven't heard about that law here because believe me the tree huggers here are going nuts over us losing the VET test.
This is sad fact.The VET program here was independently owned.More than 80% of the cost($11.00) went to his corporation.He has emissions testing in Atlanta and Phoenix I believe.His personal cars,Ferrari,Porsche,Lincoln,are all EXEMPT from testing in the respective cities.Isn't that special????He flipped his sea plane on the Ohio River here on landing day.I wish he would be a little more careful with my percentage of that plane...
Everyone reading this thread has an obligation to the hobby to stay current on issues as far as smog testing and crushing standards go.It will sneak up on you and bite you if you don't.Good luck out there in California guys...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.