Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to sell my car and get myself a classic. I know classic cars dont get good gas but I want something that get around 18 mpg. I like the body style of a 60's dodge charger especially

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
A 66-67 Ford fairlane with a 289 should fit the bill, not quite the look of the charger, but a 289 or 302 with 3.55 gears would get 18-19 MPG if driven reasonably. Especially if you don't mind spending the money for fuel injection and an overdrive trans. Or maybe a charger with a new model transplanted drivetrain?

Kelly

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
get any decent car that has the smaller engine package.add an overdrive transmission and maybe a gear ratio change to get better performance.radial tires and custom alignment help a lot.
Immagine a 66 Mustang with a T.K.O. 500 (five speed) and a 220 hp 289
Or' a 67 chevyII,swap out the power glide 2 speed for a 4 speed auto,even with a 195 HP 283 it would be fun to drive.

I bought a 79 Pinto on a whim and its kinda fun to drive with a stock 2.3 and 4 speed(needs more power)

·
Banned
2,440 Posts
ok ,we all need to know what type of car you are selling to get your classic ride. if you can work on a project you need 500 to 8,500. This all counts on what work you can do!! if you want to get a driver quality classic 15,000 & up!! Chargers are not cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts