1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i hate to sound like an idiot but i was under the impression there was more things that needed machining than just the cylinder walls.... although im not positive what....like if i bought a rotating assembly would any of it need to be worked on or will it just go right in and be fine?

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
SHIFTY101EASY said:
well i hate to sound like an idiot but i was under the impression there was more things that needed machining than just the cylinder walls.... although im not positive what....like if i bought a rotating assembly would any of it need to be worked on or will it just go right in and be fine?
We have seen those stock blocks before and if you building a stock 302 the cylinder work is fine but if you building a performance peice bolt a TORQUE PLATE on it and check the cylinders for size as I am sure you will be amazed at what you see.

If your buying a rotator have the balancing checked and also any rotators we have seen both ends of the rods need sizing and the pin bores in the pistons need to be clearanced as well as they are no ready to assemble as they promise.

·
5,122 Posts
:thumbup:

From the site=

"Engine blocks have been honed for OE type piston and ring combinations.

We have some of the last 5.0L Mustang bocks ever made--
Brand new and ready for assembly.

Each block features main caps, finished bores, and a finish line hone."

They're just Ford factory 5.0 Mustang HO assembly line production blocks.
You heard how horrible they were in all those HO Mustangs for years.

You know, Mustangs, those funny looking little cars that people made fun of because they kicked the crap out of the bowtie boys. :thumbup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CNC BLOCKS N/E said:
We have seen those stock blocks before and if you building a stock 302 the cylinder work is fine but if you building a performance peice bolt a TORQUE PLATE on it and check the cylinders for size as I am sure you will be amazed at what you see.

If your buying a rotator have the balancing checked and also any rotators we have seen both ends of the rods need sizing and the pin bores in the pistons need to be clearanced as well as they are no ready to assemble as they promise.
yeah thats what i figured. basically, once i go through all that stuff, would it be easier and cheaper or almost cheaper to just get a long block from the get go?

·
5,122 Posts
SHIFTY101EASY said:
yeah thats what i figured. basically, once i go through all that stuff, would it be easier and cheaper or almost cheaper to just get a long block from the get go?

The 5.0 block is better metal than an old 302.

I have seen several with 100,000+ miles with almost zero wear. I have checked them and the deck height was right and square, as was all the rods, balance, right off the assembly line. The Mustang HO was a well done engine.

After 100,000 they did not need deck milled, mains align honed, nor crank turned.

This new block will be standard bore and ready to go. Use the right rings and build what you want. I would check the block, but I bet it is ready to go as-is...

If the price of this new block is less than building an older 302 with machining, I'd go for it with no qualms. :D

Rumor has it that they take 500 hp easily, but 600 splits them in half down the middle.

I have two. :thumbup:

Even Joe Sherman says that torque honing has questionable value on the average hot rod engine.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
xntrik said:
The 5.0 block is better metal than an old 302.

I have seen several with 100,000+ miles with almost zero wear. I have checked them and the deck height was right and square, as was all the rods, balance, right off the assembly line. The Mustang HO was a well done engine.

After 100,000 they did not need deck milled, mains align honed, nor crank turned.

This new block will be standard bore and ready to go. Use the right rings and build what you want. I would check the block, but I bet it is ready to go as-is...

If the price of this new block is less than building an older 302 with machining, I'd go for it with no qualms. :D

Rumor has it that they take 500 hp easily, but 600 splits them in half down the middle.

I have two. :thumbup:

Even Joe Sherman says that torque honing has questionable value on the average hot rod engine.
We see quite a differance on plate honing a block when they are on the dyno as we can tell a block that has not been plate hone by the amount of blow by coming out the breathers.

As there is a right way to do things every engine that goes through our shop is plate honed.

Here is a link I did on a BBC that came in our shop that had some problems amd the only thing we did was check the heads our and fix the cylinders and the owner could no believe the differance how the engine went and it stopped using oil. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58964

Thats hard to believe that Joe would mis lead people like that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the mexican blocks have more nickel or something making them stronger is what i've always heard.

but anyways my plan was to build a new 302 on the side for my 68 mustang over a long period of time since the current one isn't that old but the previous owner got it built up and i dono much about it besides it looks pretty dirty and is pretty much stock. it starts up and runs real well though.....i want a new engine to put it after i get paint and everything else out of the way and wanted to build an engine on a stand in my garage buying a part here and there while i did the other big projects (suspension, rack and pinion, brakes etc).... i just want a stockish 302 with some decent aluminum heads (trick flow) roller rockers and intake (not sure yet) and then wanted to put one of these kits on there.... http://www.paxtonauto.com/systems_1001839.html

not really interested in making the most horsepower i possibly can since i still want it to be drivable...just want in the 300hp range and not go by "gallons per mile" instead of "miles per gallon".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.