Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Its just metal,you're the boss
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother and i picked up a new field car today :D , an older 4 door jeep Cherokee. hopefully this one is as much fun as the last, a Subaru legacy wagon...god was that a tough machine. we did finally kill it though. after the 3 exhaust system, second oil pan and countless things welded or screwed back on. Any one else have a field car, or fond memories of one?

for those who have never heard of a field car...im sorry, because you don't know what your missing. its basically a dirt cheap or free automobile nearing the end of it's useful life that you take out and beat to death in a field, on ATV trails, through the woods or any other place you can imagine. if you've never tried it I highly recommend it.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Had a few.....Liked VW bugs....strip 'em down and away you go..........Came down to the car club on day, and saw my "field bug" standing up, nose in the air, against a tree....engine was toast..........Was PO'd, not because it was wrecked, but because I wasn't part of it.

BTW, there were a few minor injuries involved in destroying these cars..............worst being a broken leg....not mine, but I was driving..........Sorry Murray.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
1980 Subaru GL four door. My friend and I cut the roof off it when we were in high school and by the time were done with it there was no windshield, one of the front tires had disintegrated and was running on the rim, the radiator was spraying a geyser of water, the right front wheel was shoved about six inches back toward the firewall and the center of the car was beginning to sag. We drove it around wearing motorcycle helmets and ski goggles. It still ran so we sold it to a couple other people we knew for a dollar and they finished the car off.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats great, a vw bug my dad had for a field car in the 70's affectionatly named gary is what put the idea in my head. some of the stories he would tell would leave me rolling for 5 minutes. like how they would play hide and seek. everyone would go hide in the T-brush and one guy would drive the car around seeking. and how one day he got the car wedged between 2 trees because "he was sure it would fit". or the time he took a date out for a ride in gary...and that was the last time he went on a date with that girl. good clean...maybe a little dangerous fun.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i cant believe more of you didnt have field cars. eithre im a red neck or you guys were sheltered. one way or another your missing out.

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Hey I'm a damn yankee and field cars are how I learned to drive at age 12. Run till just about dead then roll over time, the best a '49 DeSoto, I got three and a half out of it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Love them field cars

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
A 62 Buick Lesabre convertible and a bodiless something or other (crs) that we used to climb small poplar trees. Too much fun, put a siren on the Buick til my buds' Dad caught us. Dan

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
Must be a red neck thing. :thumbup: Way to much time on your hands. Is this part of the jack *** show.
I have never had that though Hmmm! what the heck we doing Friday night.

I have had friend that did car bowling ( load a van with bowling balls 60mph let them fly) I don't want to here that sounds cool!

Craig

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually im pretty strapped for time with school, this is a great stress reliever :D . its like going and seeing Doctor Phil or something. after i busted the car Ive walked 2 miles back to my house with a smile on my face the whole way. i'll try to get some of it on video, might be jack *** worthy. speaking of school, gotta head there now.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Giving my age away.
Bought a '37 Ford flatback for $15, drove the @#$% out of it with a battery wired to the front bumper. Bent the axle, any bodywork that needed it, filled it full of kids and had a ball whenever we could afford the .25/gallon gas. Got an offer for it for $10, and sold it.

Looking back, it was one of those shoulda, coulda, woulda cars that we all seem to have had. :spank:

The grille itself now is worth a mint - and it was mostly unbent even when I got rid of it.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Field cars?

We didn't have too many fields around here but......
My best friend in high school had a 77 Olds Delta 88 that his grandfather left him when he died. We used a sawzall to make it a convertible, primered the whole thing black and terrorized my home town with it. We'd play hide and seek with others that had beaters in the orange groves and had to "tag" those you found. We tried rally racing with it on the fire roads, took it to El Mirage dry lake bed for W.O.T runs across the lake, off roaded the thing until we were sure we bent the frame and drove it home. That car and the good times we had in it absolutely made my high school memories!
We nicknamed the car D.M or "DeathMobile" after the Lincoln from Animal House because that was how we got it all started. He ran into one Dumpster and messed the fender up, so we broke out the sawzall. Pick a part came & got it when the right front suspension wouldn't "suspend" anymore and the motor was knocking.
Now You guy's got me thinking about introducing my 15 yr old into this. Good thing I have some old 5 point harnesses laying around!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
744 Posts
A buddy of mine had a 84-85? Subaru turbo wagon :) we gutted it. We knew the lighter it was the faster it would be! His parents had a good sized Christmas tree farm so they had lots of back roads on their property that where never used. Took all the glass out, removed all the doors, hood ect. put a rudimentary roll bar in it and harnesses, I dont know how many times it was rolled but a jump finally bent the frame enough that the ground Clarence was to low to use any more lol

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
at 1 time my dad had a '68 Malibu 2dr, my dad was a Mopar guy, so the Malibu became his field car, this was mid 70's, going up through the hills of Stamford Ny. he rolled it over a couple times, but still continued to run it. it was a pretty nice car when he started, totaled when he junked it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
field cars/buses/trucks

had to many to metion we even used full sized school buses, launched one up between two trees once, we had our own figure 8 track, lots of woods,fields and a salvage yard full of cars. the field cars are what sterted the salvage yard when I was a teenager, 10 years later I have my own auto shop & 550 junk cars. field cars are a great training tool for teenagers.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts