Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I am opposed to expansion of our forums here on HR.Com and even in this instance I'm really just thinking out loud rather than actually proposing a new forum.

However, a recent thread about the use of "home made" alcohol fuel http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/drunk-power-104923.html?highlight=alcohol+fuel and then this article http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/18086/page1/
on a possible (and I do stress the word possible) breakthrough in battery storage for electric powered vehicles perked my thinking.

While many (probably MOST) of these technologies involving the future of the automobile either turn out to be unworkable, cost prohibitive, or just plain bunk, I'm always intrigued by the thinking and challenged by the technological and engineering discussions. And thus emerged the idea of having a forum to explore these "future technologies" and/or backyard solutions to our energy dilemma here on HR.Com.

Obviously dozens (perhaps hundreds) of forums already exist where this sort of discussion takes place. HOWEVER, none that I have seen directly involve the hot rod community or the racing community. And it has been my experience that hot rodders and racers are among the most ingenious and innovative folks around. They are willing to experiment, take risk, do the unconventional, and in general tackle anything which challenges them mechanically. And God knows they understand the automobile much better than a lot of "suits" we hear spouting off on the TeeeVeee.

My hope would be that a forum like this would bring out the best of those traits. If nothing else, we could simply be alerting each other to articles and discussions taking place in other venues that might trip off some of our own thinking or our own experimentation out in the shop.

And what the heck. Our faithful leader challenged us to do just that in the State of the Union last night. Maybe we can just do this as a part of the lounge for a while to see if anything comes of it, but I do think it would be interesting to spend a little quality time prodding the brains of our members about experimenting with these technologies.

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
This is a better idea than you might think. You can already see some harbingers as the "Maker", "Hacker", and "Green" cultures convene on issues of using technology and innovation to solve the problems that were caused by...technology and innovation. Those cultures are less focused on the artistic and performance-oriented aspects of the future of the car, so we definitely want to put in our 2 cents.

Right now, I don't think we have the necessary volume of discussion on this topic to justify another forum -- there are other potential forum ideas that will probably take precedence over this one in an upcoming forum re-organization.

However, I've bookmarked this thread for my "ideas" folder -- I think we'll see the topic expand significantly over the next year.

·
NEVER satisfied !
58 Posts
I think cboy has a good idea. Gas prices have gone UP here $.15 in the past week. Not only that , it's good for our country.

This country has a history of putting things off until its almost too late.

This would be a great time to start the discussion among people that , I'm sure, can find a reasonable answer.

454 Rattler

1 - 3 of 3 Posts