Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Chris and as the title notes, I'm from the Pittsburgh area of PA.

Little background about me: I'm a manufacturing engineer by training. I got out of school about a dozen years ago and in addition to my engineering work, I have been working as a toolmaker, machinist, fabricator, and equipment troubleshooter. So, I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I can use my hands pretty well for an engineer.

When working out west a in 2016, I pulled two '65 rancheros out of a field in Idaho and dragged them home with me. I gave one to my pops and kept the other one. I'm fortunate that my pops has been a mechanic since the 70's and has his own shop where I can tinker. Over the past five years we have been building the rancheros together and I finally got to drive mine this summer. I'm not sure if the ranchero technically qualifies as a hot rod, but I like it just the same.

And because everyone likes pictures, I attached a couple pictures of what the rancheros looked like when we got them home and the after shots are from my first successful voyage in mine:

Anyhow, I look forward to learning from you guys.
-Chris

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Nice restoration.
And don't worry about the hot rod part. You qualify just fine.
Stick around.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the site! Very cool rides - don't see 'em everyday. And, yes, V-8 powered trucks definitely qualify as hot rods. Are the engine(s) 260's or 289's?

(I see the badge says "289" so I guess that's the answer.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Right now there is a mild 302 in there that my pops ‘loaned’ to me until I get my 289 built (original engine to the vehicle). It’s a stock rebuild minus the edelbrock performer RPM intake and Holley sniper EFI. Actually, building the 289 was the genesis for me joining the forum - I have a basic plan for what I want to do but will be seeking some wisdom from you guys for a couple of things.

I’m running the T10 four speed that came in the car but had it rebuilt (minor upgrades to reduce the likelihood of it popping out of gear). The plan is to put a limited slip in the 8” rear this spring, along with some slightly more aggressive gears than the 2.80 that’s in there now and probably put some new/better axles in at the same time.

Other than that, I have done Mike Maier suspension up front, bilstein shocks all around and modified leafs out back from Eaton Detroit spring. When I build the rear end this spring, the plan is to do wilwood brakes on all four corners -having all drum brakes makes me nervous, hah.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Chris, A hot rod isn’t a car per se… it’s a car, any car, built with an attitude and performance parts.
Nice to meet you.
i have a C10 Chevy StepSide and am purchasing a 63 Falcon. Ranchero was first choice though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts