Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I’ve restored two 68 Chevelles (frame off) since 2017 and recently picked up a 41 Ford Coupe as my next project. While google searchingthe ‘41, Hotrodders.com came up so I’m jumping in. I’ll search past posts but my main starting inquiry is where to source sheet metal/misc parts for the ‘41. With my chevelle projects there’s no shortage of options and a gather there’s less for the 41 due to war effort. My goal is to update everything under the body to a more modern drivable situation yet keep the car mostly original looking at first glance.
Thanks in advance to any guidance y’all may provide.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Welcome to the street rod subculture. Check out Bob Drake for Ford parts. Sounds like you aim to beef up the frame/suspension but what about the drivetrain? If you would like to add a Mustang II style front suspension with power rack there are several ways to go. Several companies offer a complete hub to hub MII or start with a crossmember depending on your abilities. Rear suspension the same, leaf springs, 4 bar, triangle 4 bar, coil overs or air bags. Best bet is to do a ton of research and pick a direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the street rod subculture. Check out Bob Drake for Ford parts. Sounds like you aim to beef up the frame/suspension but what about the drivetrain? If you would like to add a Mustang II style front suspension with power rack there are several ways to go. Several companies offer a complete hub to hub MII or start with a crossmember depending on your abilities. Rear suspension the same, leaf springs, 4 bar, triangle 4 bar, coil overs or air bags. Best bet is to do a ton of research and pick a direction.
Yup, the whole sh’bang. I’ve transplanted front ends and axels before and love a fabrication challenge. I’m also a fan of coil overs as to have easy tweaking of ride height. That M2 front end is a must. I see a 9inch in my future as well. Bob Drake catalog showed up yesterday and Speedway seems to have lots of performance upgrades to mull over.
Started combing through YouTube vids for insight on preferences out there but there’s a lot less info than what’s available for mid to late 60’s cars. I really don’t want to just buy a chassis as much as that might be easier. I’d rather modify for my application. That said, I will at least look.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm not a fan of coilovers. Had breakage twice and finally went to rear air bags. Simple, cheaper and completely adjustable WITHOUT crawling under the car! I just use bags and a compressor. See no need for a tank, solenoids etc. Last project ('39) I built a frame. Once I drew up plans the actual fab was easy. Settled on engine/trans yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car’s been mine for a week and still formulating. I have some experience with LS swaps but might try to find a modern Ford engine to swap in so my soul doesn’t burn.
I have a guy who is an awesome tuner for gm so that’s an easier direction to go. Aftermarket support also seems endless in the LS platform.
Haven’t had three pedals in 20 years so thinking that could be fun.
On the coil over topic, I’ve used double adjustable QA1 twice with great satisfaction so unless there’s a compelling reason not to, I’m likely going that way. I’ve not played with bags yet and will admit I’m curious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.