Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New guy needing advice: APR vs Edelbrock heads with RPM cam???(355 build options)

Hello all-

I just registered, but have been reading and researching here for quite a while, and Thanks to all!!

I currently have a 64 Chevy II with a borrowed 307 in in until I get my engine built. I have a 350 4 bolt main and a Performer RPM cam...that is it. I have not been to the machine shop yet...but I am pretty sure I am going to need a new crank (spun bearing and pretty deep gash on journal).

Anyway I have a 350 Turbo with a 2500-2700 stall and a shift kit "suppose" to be able to handle 450ish HP and 3.73 rear end with 4 link and Strange axles.

I think with the drivetrain setup I need to stay with a 355 instead of a 383 (Thoughts??) I am torn between the AFR 195's or just going with the RPM "package" from Edelbrock

My question will a 355 with flat top (9.7 C/R) and the Performer RPM cam (7102) run better with the RPM heads or the AFR 195 heads?

Here is a pic of the car also...

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
If you can afford the AFR 195s, they're better. Build the 383 with compression you want, then call Isky, Comp etc.. for the cam recommendation. I wouldn't worry about the Trans as much as the rear.
What rear do you have in the ChevyII?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Your car is sick!!
Is the rearend a 10, 12 bolt or a 9 inch.
I'd build a high winding 355 as opposed to the 383 your car is so light that the extra torque of a 383 will just boil the hides anyway. So should the 355 though, but you can't beat cubic inches and traction problems are good problems to have :D

·
More for Less Racer
20,954 Posts
Which 10-bolt?? There are several possibilities.

The 8.2" w/ rear cover(typical factory original), the drop-out center '55-64 type that looks like a 9" Ford, a swapped-in 9" Ford(which ARE 10 bolts ;) ), or a swapped in 8.5" w/ rear cover('72-newer). Big difference in strength on all of these.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The origional housing was out of a mid 80's camaro....when I got it there was 4.11 in it and was swapped with the 3.73 that is in it, so that is a very good question.... I guess I do not have a clue what it truley is. Dumb noob mistake now I am on a mission to find out what that is as well.

·
More for Less Racer
20,954 Posts
Chevy Eleven said:
The origional housing was out of a mid 80's camaro....when I got it there was 4.11 in it and was swapped with the 3.73 that is in it, so that is a very good question.... I guess I do not have a clue what it truley is. Dumb noob mistake now I am on a mission to find out what that is as well.
If it is indeed post '81 Camaro, it is a 7.5/7.625" rear, a real weak duck no matter how good the parts are in it. Strange axles in this rear was a real waste of money, the ring and pinion are the weak links(especially the pinion). Now I understand your worry, that a 383 will tear it up, but a 350 will tear it up just as easily of you try to get it hooked up good(sticky tires and traction aids). This is a poor rear end choice for anyone to swap in, it is only better than the original 4 lug rear, and only a little better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice Chevy II!! :thumbup: If your crank is toast, I guess go for the 383. My crank was in good condition and it's a steel crank so I opted for just a 355. It moves my 72 nova with no problems. I didn't think the extra cubic inches was worth it? :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.