Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm building a 1960 Chevy Apache10, you probably guessed that. I have owned it for 23 yrs. Took it apart, started it, and left it sit, but now I'
m back and going to make this puppy a street pro stock. The top is chopped 4", it's a fleet side short bed. Has a Dana 60 4:88 Detroit locker built by Strange engineering, narrowed 13". Right now I'm working on an oak bed with alum. hidden fastener bed strips. Does anyone know about finishing the wood? I built the bed as a newer truck with a 16 gauge bed then covered the sheet metal with the oak of which I put 4 coats of marine polyurethane, but had troubles with water getting trapped between the wood and sheet metal. Took the bed apart and 86th the sheet metal and decided to do an OEM style install and oil the wood with raw linseed oil and a little bit of turpentine. However this oak is really taking in the oil. Finally here is my question. How do I know when enough oil is in? Sorry about book. Photos to follow.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Hey welcome to the site. I love old Chevy trucks and anything else old Chevy! I am a wood worker by trade. When we use lint seed oil (very rarely) I like to let it dry hard and then lightly sand and re coat until it is built up nice to your liking. You will have to do it once or twice a year if you leave it in the weather. It is not the most durable wood finish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.