Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am in desperate need of some advice. I have moved from 600 ft elev. to 5200 ft.
My car is a 65 mustang w/ a mystery 289, and a toploader 4spd.
I bought this car a couple of years ago and haven't messed w/ anything below the valve covers. There is an RV cam in it, but I haven't the slightest clue about the details. It has a 4160 holley 600 cfm w/ a dual plain manifold and a carb spacer w/ a pcv valve that is hooked up. I have just replaced the plugs (hottest I could get) and the wires (7mm). Also just replaced the points with a pertornix igniter system.
The problem is it was running too rich, so I reduced the carb jets by 2 (now 64s in an 1850-1)--it ran too rich at 600 ft, and was puking gas at 5200 ft. I am getting 14 manifold vacuum, which was rising as I advanced the ignition--but now the vacuum housing on the distributor is hitting the radiator hose and cannot go any further. The balancer has moved; because the timing marks aren't accurate, I was adjusting it by feel/sound. Do I need to find some kind of taller aftermarket distributor, or is the problem elsewhere? Please let me know if there is any info that I can give to help--I've been searching past threads and can't find anything on this problem, so I am wondering about this one. Thanks for the help.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Sounds like a carb problem..I would ask in the local..5200ft high speed shops or mechanics what to expect to change and then work it out with them about the parts...they should be able to tell you wnat you need to do to make it right. You are not the first person to move up this altitude so I'm sure they have run across this problem before. With the higher altitude Im sure your running to rich and will need to lean it out a bit.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Tazz--I am an English Instructor at the Community College here, so I will get in touch w/ the auto dept. I was thinking that this is a separate problem, but if it is still running too rich...The engine begins to put out blue smoke once it is warmed up and has been run for a little while. When it is cold, it doesn't smoke. I was thinking seals or rings, but could it be also related to the carb? I have built a leak down gauge, but haven't been able to get a compressor as of yet, so I am kind of shootin in the dark. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts