Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am mike61 and I have never used or been a member of forum. I will have to read and understand everything before I try to post or ask for advice. apparently I broke all laws on a different forum and was kicked off. I have no idea what I did wrong. so please be kind until I get the hang of it. I have a 61 Rambler and like every one else who has one these fine cars that are still worth nothing after 40 years I find myself addicted to the car. other than the front suspension I am doing a total custom and rebuild of the car to my specifications. It will have 55 Tbird door panels with the original aluminum insert for a 55-57 bird, arm rests the entire door panel looks exactly like those in the tbird. I just like the way they look autometer gauges, Power windows, etc it's the trunnion I have have not figured out what to do with it besides get rid of them.I have 15x7 Corvette rally wheels with the corvette super wide trim and 19560x15 tires I have factory OEM Power steering that I might swap to a newer PS box power brakes, top etc. I just had the PS tube checked for leaks and it's not leaking. so that's where I am at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures of Rambler

I have some that I took for the collector car insurance. It looks all stock on the outside. I love chrome so it's all going to stay bone stock on the out side. I will have to get some more pictures. the main problem is I took the right front suspension off because it was missing the nut that holds the wheel on the lower control arm. I had to remove it to put on the new nut but have not been able to do anything to it due to the recent lower back fusion I got. But I'm not going to let anything stop me. It's in a one car garage that was built around 1900 so it's a bit tight in there. but I'll get some pictures and post them. It's a really cool looking car to me. I can't explain it I just have a vision in my head of how it's going to look that's what keeps me at it but its not easy I'm the 2nd owner and I don't think anything has ever been removed. I'll get some pictures today tonight or tomorrow thanks for the interest

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,767 Posts
I'm one of the resident Rambler gurus... or at least I'm told that! I do know the cars inside out, especially the early 60s. Is yours an American, Classic, or Ambassador? The lower suspension is built about the same on all of those in 61. Here's a link to a 58-63 American suspension rebuild by a friend of mine:
WPS:AMC:1963 Rambler American

The big cars (anything but American) used a totally different upper trunnion that is worlds away easier to deal with:
WPS:AMC:Trunnion front suspension

You'll find lots of well documented Rambler stuff on his main site:
WPS:AMC Table of Contents

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1961 Rambler American convertible

I love the car the body everything even the trailer style wiring harness. I like the two door hard top American. It rains all the time and I would rather have a hardtop. My car is in good running condition. but needs paint. the suspension lower front control arm bolt has never been there. the guy I got it from just filled the spot full of something hard. I drove it like that then one day it popped out. I wish they had made an easier suspension the shocks on top into the fender and the trunnions etc. the car has factory PS,PB,Ptop, everything but the clock. I'm having back problems and I just don't think I'll ever be able to fix it so I'd either like to sell it or trade for a two door coupe or a two door wagon 1961-63. I like the older pre 60's americans but at this point I don't know. I should sell the entire car and parts and buy a new car. It's very depressing because I wanted to fix it now I have a fused spine and another degenerating disc I'm worse off than the car

·
1,767 Posts
Where are you located Mike? Drop me a PM -- I might be able to enlist some help for you to get the car back on the road, get that trunnion put back together anyway, from one of the AMC clubs. Hopefully there will be someone close by...

The trunnion is actually an elegant design from an engineering stand point. You have to remember that it was designed a few years before anyone even thought of ball joints. Everyone else was using king pins at the time. The Nash trunnion came out in 1950, ball joints in 1954 Fords (55 in others).

By elegant, I mean it's light weight but strong (with all the bolts in place!), and simple. I could make a trunnion on a lathe if I needed a new one. The only real drawback is you can only get a few degrees of caster in it, if you try for more than about 3* it will start to bind. Yes, the spacer in the lower shock is part of the support for the lower control arms. Kanter sells the shocks for not much more than any good gas shock, so that's not a big deal. The acorn nuts on the ends of the lower trunnion can work off if the trunnion has been taken a part a couple times. The hole in the pressed steel arm can wear. I always put a tack weld near the outer edge where I can reach it with a grinder or chisel to knock off if I ever need to. Not much, just enough to keep it from turning. That's a good indicator that the trunnion threads are sticking -- the tack will break.

Reactions: mike61

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trunnions

thanks for the info about the trunnions. I have heard that they are a very good system if kept lubricated. I never had any problems with mine until I noticed one of the lower outer trunnion bolts was gone. I had been driving the car for a while and never noticed any thing that's why I think the previous owner put some thing in the hole to hold it all together long enough to sell it. I intended to put on a wider tire is that possible with the trunnion?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new guy Rambler club

thanks for the info. I am a member of the Rambler Club though I did not know they had a chapter in Tacoma I thought just Seattle which which is still close. I am the sort of guy who does not like to ask for help. I don't know for some reason stemming back to childhood it is in my brain that to ask for help is a sign of weakness. I know that is not true. I need help and help was offered and I think it's great to be among people who love their cars and want to help others with their cars who for one reason or another can't work on their cars without help. I put in a set of autometer gauges and I need help getting the new oil pressure sensor. I will keep trying until I get it. One thing I would like to say is I'm sorry if I don't respond every day I just can't get to the computer which is on the third floor of an old house built around the 1900's and there are a ton of stairs. I don't know the Rambler club that well even though I'm a member I don't know who to ask for help.

·
1,767 Posts
Sent you a PM Mike!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts