Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I just installed some new heater core hoses of the 5/8 and 3/4 size on my small block chevy just about a month and a half ago and the hoses still look brand new and don't even have a hundred miles on them and on the one hose there is coolant seeping out of the tiny holes in equal amount of spacing where they made the hoses and I in my life time only had this happen one other time. Is this something that is common by chance? The hose was nice and soft and not hard and went on just fine when I got it back in March. Its the red heavy duty kind.

Had this one other time but that was over ten plus years ago when it did. Got some from an auto store but it was the cheaper black brand vs the red heavy duty kind that is double rubber with black layer covered with a red layer. Hope anyone can shed some light on if this has ever happened to them. Sad part is I bought the whole box for like a dollar something a foot at rural king and now I am guessing if that box was bad then the rest of it most likely would be junk in short order as well but I don't know.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep it sure is. Got it in automotive at Rural King right with where they keep the fuel hose and stuff. It says Premium Heater hose on the box. The one hose is fine but the other is seeping in the tiny holes where they are machined and I am guessing its when they cut the white thread that you can see kind of that they cut off from the looks of it. The holes are equal spaced.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
the leak is on the end where it was cut to fit?
that is odd, seems like the inner layer of rubber is punctured and the pressure is working on the reinforcement.
look at the ID of the hose you have left and see if it looks strange.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I take it off I will look at it and I will take a garden hose and check the rest of my hose before I install a new section on it. I am luck I just happen to want to check underneath my hood as it could have burst open on me. Lucky I saw it before it could have happened.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that baffles me as well. Its just strange that it was fine then all of a sudden it is bad now but just leaking from the tiny holes along the hose and its somehow seeping through the inner liner. Go figure. If the rest of the hose in the box is junk then there goes about $20 bucks or so as my wife got it for me when I said I needed some as my old hoses were about five plus years old and I figured I would just replace it. I will post if the rest is bad or not.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sounds like you got a faulty batch of hose. If that was me I would dump the lot and get new from another source. Last thing you want is a hose burst miles from home when you could have prevented it.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just checked my hoses again and its not all the little holes but only a few of them. Both hoses are bad. The one hose has one tiny hole seeping and the other one has around four tiny holes seeping. Not all of them are doing it though. Now I have to replace the two hoses and all the extra I bought is now a waist, uugh I swear my bad luck with hoses and trash quality.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well, maybe take a couple of pictures of the leaks (or drive there if you can to show them the issue) and return the box of hoses to your store, at least, if you get a refund, it is not a total waste...

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be doing that. I got my receipt from when I got it and I will get a refund on it. I am going to try and plug the hose first and then take a garden hose and spray in it with the other end plugged up just to see if its bad in any other spots. Its sad you can't even buy automotive hose nowadays without wondering if it will last or not. Quality control with anything went out with the 90's sad to say.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello guys I just installed some new heater core hoses of the 5/8 and 3/4 size on my small block chevy just about a month and a half ago and the hoses still look brand new and don't even have a hundred miles on them and on the one hose there is coolant seeping out of the tiny holes in equal amount of spacing where they made the hoses and I in my life time only had this happen one other time. Is this something that is common by chance? The hose was nice and soft and not hard and went on just fine when I got it back in March. Its the red heavy duty kind.

Had this one other time but that was over ten plus years ago when it did. Got some from an auto store but it was the cheaper black brand vs the red heavy duty kind that is double rubber with black layer covered with a red layer. Hope anyone can shed some light on if this has ever happened to them. Sad part is I bought the whole box for like a dollar something a foot at rural king and now I am guessing if that box was bad then the rest of it most likely would be junk in short order as well but I don't know.
Return it for refund or another hose or better brand of hose. Like cheap electrical wires, a higher percentage are faulty. You gets what you pays for.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the same brand heater hose that many of the auto part stores sell, Thermoquad, or something close to it as I forget the exact spelling, I believe is what the name brand is and that is what they have sold for over twenty plus years that I have bought from advance or autozone or elsewhere and it has always lasted for many years regardless if it was the lesser black hose or the premium hose which is a double more thicker more pressure resistant hose like the red color vs the plane black. I returned it the other day and showed them a photo and I got back of what I did not use. I went to the auto store and got hose from there so less chance of something being wrong. The previous hose I got was made in 2018 on the date.

On the newer hose it was made this year so I doubt that has anything to do with stuff but now I just got to take the faulty hose off and put the new hose on. I have only had this twice in my lifetime that this has happened since I got my first car at 18 and I am now 45. Go figure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is the same brand heater hose that many of the auto part stores sell, Thermoquad, or something close to it as I forget the exact spelling, I believe is what the name brand is and that is what they have sold for over twenty plus years that I have bought from advance or autozone or elsewhere and it has always lasted for many years regardless if it was the lesser black hose or the premium hose which is a double more thicker more pressure resistant hose like the red color vs the plane black. I returned it the other day and showed them a photo and I got back of what I did not use. I went to the auto store and got hose from there so less chance of something being wrong. The previous hose I got was made in 2018 on the date.

On the newer hose it was made this year so I doubt that has anything to do with stuff but now I just got to take the faulty hose off and put the new hose on. I have only had this twice in my lifetime that this has happened since I got my first car at 18 and I am now 45. Go figure.
While the majority of items at auto parts stores are good to high quality, some are not. Gates and Dayco hoses and belts are second to none in my opinion. That said, even at those manufacturers, defective items somehow get past quality control from time to time. It's always a good idea to try to limit your purchases to brands associated with high quality.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I try to get good quality stuff but my part stores around here only have the regular old heater hose and only carry the stuff that goes for about $2 bucks a foot as that is what all that has ever been given to me as an option. As far as using it a a garden hose lol my wife would not use it. She either would want garden hose or nothing at all. I was able to get a refund on it so no big deal. I have never had the dayco brand before from what I have remembered but I know Oreily does sell the Dayco brand so if this does not work then I will try something else and see how it goes. Pretty sad the hose is American made too. Just one of those deals that sometimes something gets past.

Not much nowadays for quality control regardless of where its been made.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to try Gates or Dayco in the future if I have any more issues with the Thermo brand name hose. Will see how it goes today after I get it on and make a mess once again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.