Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an HEI distributer today, Mallory carb, coil, rotor. its plugged into 12v igntion source from my fuse box. The engine fired farley easy after putting it in the problem is its not running right, it pops through the carb every now and then, at low RPM. When i tried to time it i put it at 16. but it wasnt running well. when i move the distributer counter clockwise the idle speed incresses and it seems to run better.

Isnt counter clockwise restarding the timing?

I would just keep turning it counter clockwise until it ran good but, the vaccum canister hits my intake manifold.

Could the distributer be in wrong?

Thanks
Kyle

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yes itis possible. double check. wires, dis. rotor to balancer timing. tdc on balancer should be just before clinder one in distributor. could be a tooth off

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
I take it you havn't put a timing light on it yet. You may have to move it a tooth or 2 to get the proper timing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I borrowed a timing light and timed it at 16 but it didnt run that well.

I pulled over and turned the distributer both ways, clockwise made it run worse, counter made it run better, its as far counter as it can go now with the canister hitting the manifold. seems like it would run better if i put it more over there...

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Echofive said:
I just installed an HEI distributer today, Mallory carb, coil, rotor. its plugged into 12v igntion source from my fuse box. The engine fired farley easy after putting it in the problem is its not running right, it pops through the carb every now and then, at low RPM. When i tried to time it i put it at 16. but it wasnt running well. when i move the distributer counter clockwise the idle speed incresses and it seems to run better.

Isnt counter clockwise restarding the timing?

I would just keep turning it counter clockwise until it ran good but, the vaccum canister hits my intake manifold.

Could the distributer be in wrong?

Thanks
Kyle

Mallory Carb? Am I missing something?

You need to figure out what your timing curve is. Get an advance analazing timing light and a tach.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mallory, Rotor, Cap, Coil, Module put onto a stock GM HEI. I just took it for a drive and I turned the distributer clockwise a little and tried to drive it. the response was slow, kept dieing popping. I moved it back to where it was, ran better but still not very responsive and laggy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Something to check that can cause serious problems is the depth of the distributor. If your heads or block have been milled and the distributer is pushing down on the oil pump shaft you will get spark scatter, not only that but ruin the gear.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My block is stock deck hiegth, the heads are brand new. wires are in good shape, I'm gonna get a multimeter tomorrow to test for 12 v.

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
Move your distributer 1 tooth clockwise, which will allow you to turn it a bit further..

Your earlier question....turning it counter-clockwise advances the timing.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Echofive said:
I borrowed a timing light and timed it at 16 but it didnt run that well.

I pulled over and turned the distributer both ways, clockwise made it run worse, counter made it run better, its as far counter as it can go now with the canister hitting the manifold. seems like it would run better if i put it more over there...
Remove the distributor hold down clamp and lift the distributor straight up. Rotate the distributor shaft in a clockwise direction about one tooth and re-install the distributor. This will allow you to adjust the timing without the vacuum canister hitting the intake.

Rotating the distributor counter-clockwise will advance the timing. When checking and/or adjusting the timing, be sure that the vacuum hose going to the vacuum advance canister is disconnected and plugged.

Set your initial timing around 10-12 degrees (with the vacuum hose disconnected and plugged). Then re-connect the hose and adjust the curb idle screw to the RPM you want when the trans is in Drive (if an automatic). Test drive. If you experience any pinging, drop the timing by 2 degrees and re-test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts