Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1935 Ford Deluxe Cabriolet
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just became a member. I own a 1935 For Deluxe Convertible that I am converting into a hot rod. Searching for solid axle coil overs information I came across this forum and I became a member. This is my first posting.

The following is the scope of the project:

SBC 350 ci/320hp Holley Sniper FI.
4L60E GM four speed transmission with overdrive
9 inch Ford rear end with coil overs 3.7 differential
Front Coil overs
12 x2 in Lincoln drum brakes with power assist.
A/C
New 1935 Ford radiator for SBC
New gas tank Stainless with electric fuel pump
All gages, vintage gauges, from Classic Instruments Store
Replaced the firewall to have additional depth for the SBC

I am keeping the original wire wheels, and the steering system. The car will look original until you look inside.
I have removed the engine, the transmission, the front and rear suspension, the steering system and the gas tank. Waiting for the rear end, the transmission and the engine to be delivered.

Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive side-view mirror

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome...and sweet ride. Is it a rumble set? Will the Sniper also run the trans? With ANY fuel injection I like to see in-tank pump. Once the tank is installed cut a hole in the floor over the pump and install a removable plate. If it were me I would install a MII front suspension with power rack but that's just me. Two things about those rims, not sure if the bolt pattern is right for the parts you are swapping in and most of all I think the wire wheels are WEAK. May want to think about upgrading to aftermarket wires that have larger spokes. Again, that's one sweet ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 39 master
Thank you for your comments. Yes it is a rumble seat. The car was all original and it was in perfect condition. But I promise myself that I was not going to pull the purist card and proceed with my plan to hot rod it. I already have a 1959 Corvette fuel injection 290 hp completely original and a 1957 German very rare motorcycle all original, garage queens. The 1935 Ford is going to be a frequent driver.
I am going with a stainless steel gas tank with an in-tank electric pump. The car already has the access door behind the rumble seat which I believe will give access to the pump.
The Sniper does not run the transmission. I am having Phoenix Transmission built the transmission and will come with a Compushift II controller to drive the transmission.
I thought long and hard installing the MII but we are going to keep the original steering box and steering column and steering wheel. Consequently the horn and light switches will be from the steering wheel, original. The front coil overs will do the trick, not as good as the MII but allows me to keep the steering original.
Regarding the wheels the rear end is being fabricated by Spraker Racing and it comes with the 3 3/8 square pattern to accept the Lincon speedway back plates. The axels are 5 x 5 1/2 to accept my wheels. The front the same so no problem accepting the original wheels.
The car will be city driven and occasionally highway. Once in a while I will do a fast start, not often. So I believe the wire wheels will hold up as I am not going to race the car or do hard driving.

Regards

Roberto

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan. Years ago I had a '33 Willys with coilovers in back and had two problems with them. I built a '32 Ford Roadster with rumble seat and decided to ditch the coilovers for air bags. Best move. Load the rumble and just push the button to level the ride, no crawling under. Did the same with the '39 I have now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you have a plan. Years ago I had a '33 Willys with coilovers in back and had two problems with them. I built a '32 Ford Roadster with rumble seat and decided to ditch the coilovers for air bags. Best move. Load the rumble and just push the button to level the ride, no crawling under. Did the same with the '39 I have now.
Sounds interesting i will look into it. Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts