Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short this is my first paint job. I sanded then sprayed 2k primer, sanded to 600, sprayed base x3, sprayed clear x2. I think sprayed to soon after cleaning and also didn't wear a suit which caused too much dirt in the air. I decided I would sand the whole car with 1000 grit to get the dust/dirt out before spraying a final tack and clear coat.

In the process of sanding I have a couple of spots where I cut too deep to get the dirt out and the base is too thin and a few spots where I just cut through the clear. I'm not sure how to correct these spots. Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated. If you need more information please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Grand Prix user
5,481 Posts
Sand each questionable spot with appropriate grit, apply primer there, dry then sand. If your primer can be mixed as a sealer, maybe do that so it lays down better. Featheredge each spot nicely, sand primer overspray off whole car. Then go again, color and all. You are starting over.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sand the whole car with 400 to get rid of the "orange peal. Wash real good with a couple of drops of Dawn and then rinse really well. Next put water down on the floor, keep it wet while doing the painting. Get a proper sealer, spray it on, put the base coat down, sand any dirt out of the base coat with 600, if the paint is solid (non-metallic) put the clear on. If the paint has pearl of flake in it you will need to spray color again but a thinned mix. Do at least three coats of clear. I prefer a light coat followed by a nice and wet coat. As soon as you get "spider webs" lay the third wet coat down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy Thanksgiving guys.. Well, I was able to fix and respray but I have A LOT of tiny specks all over.

Is it possible that fog of clear thats in the air is drying and falling back down before I'm done and open the door to vent? I have the heater on to get the temperature of the car to about 80 then shut it off and spray. I'm wondering if the temperature up at the ceiling is maybe 90+ and is causing the clear in the air to "fall out" and back down into my fresh clear. Has anyone seen this happen or is this possible?

Thanks again for your help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Grand Prix user
5,481 Posts
Oh yes, thats a real thing. The lack of airflow. This time around, you'll have a better idea of when to stop sanding. Before you get too far into sanding prior to buffing, buff a spot to see how much buffing does for it. You may need to be less picky about what to sand out how much. Every paint job gets defects, factories have a spec for how many are allowable within an area and only certain zones like around the edges of hood are critical.

Glad you got past the redo, good luck from here on out with it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Your little speck sound like gassing. Too fast an activator. The surface dries before the wet under portion has a chance to activate and cure.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Car
The paint needs to vent. Fresh air is required along with several other things. Fallen over spray will land on the paint and give it a kind of foggy look. I have shot many cars in my shop. A 16 ft. over head door is cracked two inches off the floor. A really good house hold fan blows air out the window. The wet shop floor keeps dust down to almost nothing. Finishes have come out very nice, most requiring no sanding and buffing. Guess I'm doing something right, paint hasn't fallen off anything I've done this way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts