Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is, the gem as my wife calls it, a 1946 Dodge WF32 1 1/2 ton. And it came with a title, black plates and a bunch of spiderwebs. I spotted her in a back yard/field while at a garage sale, asked the gentleman if it was for sale, $500 dollars he replied, there's not a lick of rust through so far, only a couple of small dents, I cut down a small tree that had grown between the bed and cab. Here's where it gets good, my brother in law towed me home while I drove it, 9 miles, no brakes, had to use the tranny to slow down. Our neighbor followed and laughed all the way, weeds and crap flying off, the tires were hard and she bounced anywhere over 15mph. Still, a couple of other Dodge guys went passed us, thumbs up, it was really cool, made feel like a kid with my first car. I've already started taking it apart, just want the cab and nose to make a 1/2 ton. :thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep Dinger, right down the street from me. Now I need a Dakota frame and a bed, keep an eye out. I spent yesterday morning grinding off bolts. Looks like about half the body mount bolts need the torch, I can't get to them with the wheel.
My nephews dog was trying to help, I'm laying under it, went feeling for the sawzall, the little ***** dragged it off.
I'm removing several parts that won't be used, like fenders, motor stuff, wipers. The inner fender panels are really cool, factory louvered.

·
Giggity Giggity
62 Posts
Im a big fan of the 5.9, but I dont know the years. Just make sure to get a Magnum.

As far as carbureted, you just need a different intake manifold, a carb, and a low pressure fuel pump.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see the Magnum crates online and carburated, reasonable. If I can find a roller with one and rebuild it, I'd probably save some money.
I'm trying to find pictures of this kind of swap, but with no fenders, what's a a-arm front end going to look like. Sure I can smooth the frame, I gotta think a roadster type would be less cluttered. So do I cut everything thing off and hang a single leaf style????? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
456 Posts
68RATVT said:
I see the Magnum crates online and carburated, reasonable. If I can find a roller with one and rebuild it, I'd probably save some money.
I'm trying to find pictures of this kind of swap, but with no fenders, what's a a-arm front end going to look like. Sure I can smooth the frame, I gotta think a roadster type would be less cluttered. So do I cut everything thing off and hang a single leaf style????? :rolleyes:
Dakota frames aren't pretty enough to hang out in the open (same with S-10's too). Late model frames are great ...if you can hide them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a stock frame not far from me, a roller for 200, it has a factory front drop axle. All of that seems easier to start with and the old frame is pretty good looking too. So, your right, the newer frames wouldn't look good...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drove 4 hours yesterday to buy a frame and bed, all for 500, a bit pricey maybe, but I needed them...The cab is torn down and ready for a chop, 4" backside and 5" front, body drop of 4". Man, there's not a lick of cancer, how lucky is that..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.