Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just started a new project,, A 36 chev 4 dr sedan,,[ I know!!! a real ugly ducklin, ] but it has alot of sentimental things that the owner seems to want to charish,,, and he pays the bill,,, anyway, all the body wood is no good,, so that means that it will have to be replaced with steel tubing,,, my question is do you guys think it would be better to replace the wood before taking the body off the frame or go ahead and remove the body and build the chassis and then put the body back on and do the wood replacement, I'm thinking that it would be best to do the chassis first,, then with the frame and ride al set at level,, put the body back on and fit all the doors and seams with the new steel tubing ??? any Ideas????
Maybe this is the wrong forum for this,,

Attachments

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
i'm not an expert on this but i would say to prop up the body where its supposed to be and tack in some braces to hold it in place then take the body off and replace everything.
i've seen other guys do it this way.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Bill-
Judging from the doors, I would say the lower cowl is rusted out and the flootboards, as well as the rockers.

If it were me, I would get some 3/4" black iron pipe, some allthread and make some props to hold up the roof. Take the weight offthe door pillars. Then, when you lift it high enough, you can get your doors somewhat aligned. Take angle or tubing and weld a brace to the bottom of the front door pillar to the rear pillar. You will be able to pull the doors off, and work on it easier. I am doing a 39 right now. (See my Project Journal). Let me know of you need any advise. Judging from your other projects, I don't think you will. :thumbup: Man, I love that hot-rod!

Jeff

Back to your question-
I would brace first, wood second, then do the frame once the body is completely stabilized.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
You might consider replacing the wood with wood. Chevywood.com has wood replacement kits for most early Chevy bodies and it might be a whole lot easier than fabing the metal required. Just a suggestion.

Centerline

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Beenaway2long said:
Bill-
Judging from the doors, I would say the lower cowl is rusted out and the flootboards, as well as the rockers.

If it were me, I would get some 3/4" black iron pipe, some allthread and make some props to hold up the roof. Take the weight offthe door pillars. Then, when you lift it high enough, you can get your doors somewhat aligned. Take angle or tubing and weld a brace to the bottom of the front door pillar to the rear pillar. You will be able to pull the doors off, and work on it easier. I am doing a 39 right now. (See my Project Journal). Let me know of you need any advise. Judging from your other projects, I don't think you will. :thumbup: Man, I love that hot-rod!

Jeff

Back to your question-
I would brace first, wood second, then do the frame once the body is completely stabilized.
Beenaway2long said:
Bill-
Judging from the doors, I would say the lower cowl is rusted out and the flootboards, as well as the rockers, I am doing a 39 right now. (See my Project Journal). Let me know of you need any advise. Judging from your other projects, I don't think you will. :thumbup: Man, I love that hot-rod!

Jeff

Back to your question-
Thanks Jeff,,, But Actually the rockers and floor are really pretty rust free,, its just the rotten wood that the doors are hanging on,, this is the last year that chev used wood for body bracing,
I know that replacing the wood with steel is a BIG job, and really time consuming, thats why I am looking for a easier way,, I am really inclined to do like Center suggested and buy new wood and then reinforce that wood with steel around the doors, that is the major stress points,, Centerline,,, Thanks for the link,, I e/md him for a catilog, looks like he makes a good product,,

Jeff I have a 39 chev coupe that is all chopped, piecut , molded, bla bla bla,, I think there are some pictures of it in my gallery,, It isn't finished yet,,, too many other irons in the fire right now,, its hard to get a project off the back burner,, once they wind up there,, but its for sale,,
Thanks for the suggestions guys I really appreciate them,, and Believe me ,,, I am always open to any advice you might have,,I learn something new everyday, its a interesting world we are in ,,

Thanks Bill:thumbup:

Ghetto Jet said:
hopefully he can live without the stick on white walls.

Good luck with it.
WHATTSA MATTUR GETTO,, YOU DON"T LIKA THE TREADS??
I can remember when these were the hot setup,, not really a good setup ,, ugly as hell huh, Bill this car has been setting in a little garage for 41 years, kinda like the rising of the phonix, but uglier, Bill:rolleyes:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mister muscles,,, I just looked at your journal,,, man do youhave ajob on your hands,, but I sure admire you for taking something like that on,, you have my respect,, how far along are you?? I noticed that you are looking for a hood,,, I have a friend that has several 34 chevs, and a bunch of parts,, I'll check with him and see if he might have a hood,
Good luck on the 34,, Bill

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
You know, Bill, its a good thing that Beaverton is so far away from Syracuse. You'd never get my nosegrease off your shop windows and you'd need a boat to get thru the drool puddles .. The Bad Rat is killer. Everything came out great !

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.