Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not posted for a while due to heart attack in spring this year but am getting back to normal. My son and I are building a new 'dream shop". Never know when your number may be up, so decided to get what I want while I'm still able to enjoy. The shop is 32 x 40'', in-floor radiant heat and will be equipped with a lift. No more crawling around on the ground. The foundation, floor and walls are up and the roof goes on end of this week. We have several projects, 1950 ford in original running condition. 1932 ford pickup wating to be rodded, 1939 ford 2 door sedan partially rodded but needs lots of work, and a chevette drag racer 3/4 done. Anyways, I will post some pictures of this stuff soon. My new view on things is that you only get one life so go for your dreams and don't worry much about tomorrow .

·
I am the Antirice
270 Posts
That's right, cap'n, like a very close friend put it one day, this (life) isn't a rehearsal, so do what you gotta do. *thumbup* show us the pics ASAP! Sounds like it's going to be a great garage!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re:

Hey Cap'n, congrats on the new shop! I've been beggin my wife to let me build one for years. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind answering them on here. First, what is the total cost on the build? Second, what is the radiant heat floor going to cost you? I don't mean to be nosey, but the wife has relented and it looks like construction begins in the spring on a 30' x 40' shop. I'm just trying to figger out roughly what kind of prices I'm looking at.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Hats off to you keep moving forward and do what you need to do now. I also found out that I have Non-Hodgkins lymphoma with an average of five years life expectancy. Since I found that out I don't wait till tommorow to do it, I do it now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shop info

rmemech said:
Hey Cap'n, congrats on the new shop! I've been beggin my wife to let me build one for years. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind answering them on here. First, what is the total cost on the build? Second, what is the radiant heat floor going to cost you? I don't mean to be nosey, but the wife has relented and it looks like construction begins in the spring on a 30' x 40' shop. I'm just trying to figger out roughly what kind of prices I'm looking at.
Thanks for your interest. The shop will come in at about 35K Canadian. It is framed with 2 x 6, has 6 windows, a side entrance door, and a 14w x 10h commercial overhead door. The radiant heat system cost $1300. but I already have an outdoor wood burning boiler that I heat my house, barn workshop and my wife's studio with. You could use a smaller oil or wood fired boiler or natural gas fairly economically. Not sure where you live, but up here in the great white north we heat about 6 months of the year so we needed R20 insulation. Our site needed a lot of excavating and fill and that added about 4K to the cost. By the way, you might as well go to 32 x 40 as it works out well with standard lumber size and you can always use more space. Stuff is cheaper in the USA so count on about 15-20% less than up here. Hope this helps somewhat eh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One day at a time!

Rat Rod said:
Hats off to you keep moving forward and do what you need to do now. I also found out that I have Non-Hodgkins lymphoma with an average of five years life expectancy. Since I found that out I don't wait till tommorow to do it, I do it now.
Never give up. I try not to think about my problems, it's such a waste of time. You are right, do it now and let life flow. Thanks for the reply brother.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

skeeveman said:
That's right, cap'n, like a very close friend put it one day, this (life) isn't a rehearsal, so do what you gotta do. *thumbup* show us the pics ASAP! Sounds like it's going to be a great garage!
Thanks for the words. Pictures coming soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts