Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys and Ladies,
I am Eddie Paul and I am a member here but my main job is the building of movie cars and custom cars and I can use your help,
Two of my companies; E.P. Industries and Customs By Eddie Paul is best known as the go-to company for extreme deadline situations in both the automotive and film/television industries. We are the ones who built vehicles and special effects for major productions such as Grease, the original Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPs, E.T., Mask, Nightmare on Elm Street, and more recently, Fast and Furious 1&2, Triple X, and the Disney movie CARS.

As a result of the high-profile work that we do, we are frequently and regularly featured on build shows on the Discovery Channel, History Channel, TLC, CBS, and NBC. We have an ongoing publishing contract with Motorbooks International, Krause Publishing and Koolhouse Publishing to produce books and magazine articles in which we feature our projects and the companies that sponsor our builds. And we have the hottest new web show on the Internet called Deadline TV in which we feature all of our high-profile work such as the Disney cars and our latest for Yamaha Motors called Project SX230.

The main reason I have started a web show is because I refused to sell my sole to Discovery and become a jerk like some have (no names) but, to get my show really going I need numbers, and I get those number by views, I have no investors and rely on sponsors and those sponsors want to see how many people view the site.

I have one segment up How we built “Sally the Pixar Porsche” the next will be how we built Lightning and then Mator (the tow truck) I am trying to feature building and not fighting (sorry OCC), each segment will have behind-the-door techniques and lots of cool tools. My plan is to have some hot rod builds in there as well, but I first have to get these commitments (first four segments) finished first.

Please visit the site at www.*****.net and join the forum and let me know what you want to see. I will start pushing older stuff if there is enough interest. I have never asked for you help before and could sure use it now, thanks in advance.

Eddie Paul
*****.net

·
The Penny Pincher
1,942 Posts
You need to post this in the Hotrodder's Lounge.
Maybe one of the moderators can move it for you. :pimp:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Eddie,
I loved the video, it was great. I think it's awesome that you're willing to take the time to do this so people can take a look inside your shop as you're working. This type of video is much more interesting to watch than the shows on tv, which are done by tv producers who are not car guys. It's very cool to see a car guy become a tv producer.
How often will you have new videos online?
It would be nice if you could offer a high-bandwidth video that is a little larger, and show us even more details and more info on how you are building everything.
The boat project sounds like it will have some interesting challenges, can't wait to see how you build that.
Thanks for doing this!
-Shane Smith

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Great site Eddie, best of luck to you. I have been longing for a show that does not have all the theatrics but just shows the how to. I really get turned off by the bickering and childish behavior the Discovery Channel producers make those craftsman go through. Loved the short clip on the construction of Sally, looking forward to more.

Vince

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Guys,
Eddie is a regular contributer on Metalmeet. This guy does awesome work, and is really helpful when his busy schedule permits.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing a REAL fabrication TV show, instead of "I'll size 12 ya!"

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
A real "Professional" show would be spectacular! Bickering and fighting does NOT garner any of MY interest or respect and, to be truthful, I have lost a lot of respect for the "builders" on these shows that portray that crap. I have stopped watching most of the shows because of it and I know I would never have anything built by these unprofessional idiots. I won't buy their "junk" at Walmart either because I don't want to fuel the fires, so to speak.
Just build the car, show us some tips and tricks, and don't go "soap opera" on us. You will do well.
Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree, and have put my money where my mouth is

astroracer said:
A real "Professional" show would be spectacular! Bickering and fighting does NOT garner any of MY interest or respect and, to be truthful, I have lost a lot of respect for the "builders" on these shows that portray that crap. I have stopped watching most of the shows because of it and I know I would never have anything built by these unprofessional idiots. I won't buy their "junk" at Walmart either because I don't want to fuel the fires, so to speak.
Just build the car, show us some tips and tricks, and don't go "soap opera" on us. You will do well.
Mark
I could not agree more and that is why I have done this, first I tried to convince Discovery that this was the way to go and got noting but blank stares in return with the quote that “everybody loves seeing a good fight…” well it was easier to just do the show myself than to get them to do it, so if you agree with me I need your help to push it and keep it alive. It will cost you nothing but a littlie time, I am investing all the money, and a lot of time, but in the long run it will be worth it.
I have pushed this web site in my next book with Motorbooks and am trying to drive “high-end builders your way as well, I also need subjects that are of interest for my show, so get on the deadlineTV forum and let me know what you want to see, if I can fit it in the show I will.
Thanks again,
Eddie Paul

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I'll be the first one to tell Discovery that "everyone does NOT like a good fight"! Non car builders may get a charge out if it but, in my opinion, you are only turning off the audience that should matter, the car builders. At this point I do not go out of my way to turn on any of those shows and I will actually turn them off when the bickering starts. There is no content to sustain my interest and that is when the show becomes a waste of my time.
Eddie, It sounds like you want to produce a down to earth show that will actually walk us through a good build. I would appreciate a show that shows how (and why) things are done. Metal shaping, bending, fabricating, everything involved in producing a custom car, truck or whatever. Forget the "interesting" stuff and show us the boring "hand sanding of the final primer coat" and tell us why it is necessary to do it.
I'll watch grass grow all day long if I can learn something from it. :thumbup:
Thank you for this. A real "reality" TV show has been needed for a long time.
As a side note; Try to keep the "must be done YESTERDAY" aspect out of the show. I know it adds "drama" but I have NEVER built a car where I HAD to have it done in a week from start to finish. That's not gonna happen on my end and, if it takes two weeks to do a show, does it really matter? I would much rather see it done right in two hours then done half-assed in one.
Mark

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
You can't advertise a commercial venture on this forum. Please read our Business Posting Guidelines. The last guy that came by here with a shop promo video got his shows dropped from TV, and his career ruined. Please read this: The Gas Monkey Garage Scandal.

It's nice to see you have a healthy distaste for Discovery. We don't like them either. In fact, next time you talk to them, you can tell them to grease up their lawyers, because we have a special surprise for them in the works :).

I watched the Cars video. At least there was no showboating, and no pseudo-tough guy crap. And, you shot and produced it yourself, we can respect that. But you hardly had any tech information at all. The video is mostly an advertisement for Porsche, Pixar, and your other sponsors.

You seem to have a plan to attract traffic to your website to promote your show, and that plan seems to involve posting on our forums, and encouraging our members to support you. I don't think you've earned our support. Our forums exist to share hotrodding knowledge and culture, not to support your sponsors so that you can profit.

Here is some free advice, from the administrator of the net's largest hot rod site:

1. Film yourself as you work in your shop, building hot rods.

2. Edit the film to produce a tech how-to video that demonstrates how a knowledgeable, skilled professional performs certain hotrodding tasks. No sponsors, no stars. Don't say or do anything that isn't specifically related to completing the technical task at hand. Don't name-drop. Don't try to be cool, tough, exciting, or funny. Make it LIKE YOU ARE SHOWING ONE OF YOUR BUDDIES HOW TO PERFORM A HOTRODDING TASK.

3. Release the video on the net, for free, on YouTube and other free video sites, and drop by hotrodding forums to tell them about it (us first, please :)). The overhead is only the cost of the camera and the time to film and edit the video.

4. Keep releasing more similar videos, and develop a reputation as "Eddie Paul the Video Tech Guy" or some such.

5. Parlay your "video tech guy" reputation into other more profitable ventures, while continuing to produce tech videos. Keep your tech videos and your "promotional feature" ventures separate.

6. Hotrodders will become smarter, you will become richer, and everyone will love you and your shop.

Until then, please refrain from using our forums to advertise your sold-out show.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would partially agree that there was a feeling of sponsorship advertising in the video, but Eddie and the guy with the speedo are on opposite sites of the spectrum. Eddie has been publishing books and videos for a very long time, which helps spread the knowledge to others. I bought one of his books about 2 years ago, and it has helped me a lot on my street rod project.
I know this site has rules about business posting. I hope Eddie will read those rules and stay within the limits so that he can continue to post info here.
Jon, if you're not familiar with his work, I hope you'll do a little research on him and his business and welcome him here, he would be a valuable asset to this site.
:welcome:
-Shane

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry you feel that way...

Jon said:
You can't advertise a commercial venture on this forum. Please read our Business Posting Guidelines. The last guy that came by here with a shop promo video got his shows dropped from TV, and his career ruined. Please read this: The Gas Monkey Garage Scandal.

It's nice to see you have a healthy distaste for Discovery. We don't like them either. In fact, next time you talk to them, you can tell them to grease up their lawyers, because we have a special surprise for them in the works :).

I watched the Cars video. At least there was no showboating, and no pseudo-tough guy crap. And, you shot and produced it yourself, we can respect that. But you hardly had any tech information at all. The video is mostly an advertisement for Porsche, Pixar, and your other sponsors.

You seem to have a plan to attract traffic to your website to promote your show, and that plan seems to involve posting on our forums, and encouraging our members to support you. I don't think you've earned our support. Our forums exist to share hotrodding knowledge and culture, not to support your sponsors so that you can profit.

Here is some free advice, from the administrator of the net's largest hot rod site:

2. Edit the film to produce a tech how-to video that demonstrates how a knowledgeable, skilled professional performs certain hotrodding tasks. No sponsors, no stars. Don't say or do anything that isn't specifically related to completing the technical task at hand. Don't name-drop. Don't try to be cool, tough, exciting, or funny. Make it LIKE YOU ARE SHOWING ONE OF YOUR BUDDIES HOW TO PERFORM A HOTRODDING TASK.

3. Release the video on the net, for free, on YouTube and other free video sites, and drop by hotrodding forums to tell them about it (us first, please :)). The overhead is only the cost of the camera and the time to film and edit the video.

4. Keep releasing more similar videos, and develop a reputation as "Eddie Paul the Video Tech Guy" or some such.

5. Parlay your "video tech guy" reputation into other more profitable ventures, while continuing to produce tech videos. Keep your tech videos and your "promotional feature" ventures separate.

6. Hotrodders will become smarter, you will become richer, and everyone will love you and your shop.

Until then, please refrain from using our forums to advertise your sold-out show.
You’re information is not quite accurate, the show is not sold and the only person putting any money into it is me, and I have been building cars for about 35 years now. You need to do your homework. Sorry to have offended you just thought it would be good to get a build show out there but what do I know…
give ma a call if you need to know more accurtate infomation about the show, you need to not jump on peopls cases until you are sure of what you are talking about. I can be reaced at 310-643-8515

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW Jon

Jon said:

I just noticed that I have been building cars longer than you have been alive. hummm. so I have paid my dues, and BTW the Gas monkey show is C##P it should have been baned. this is real building of cars and things, not Monster Garage stuff.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I thought it was a great idea and I don't see it as advertising. I don't know anyone on this board that can afford to have him build a car so if he is looking for customers, this ain't the place. I thought he was sincere and really wanting to share something. I've added his site to my favorites and will check in often. I too have been building cars for 35 years and I'm always wanting to learn something new. Thanks Eddie :thumbup:
Bob

·
3,201 Posts
I have seen this same promotion copy-pasted onto MetalMeet, and researched dozens of other posts and articles involving Eddie Paul prior to posting.

I understand that he has an established (and published) reputation for knowledge, both inside and outside of hotrodding culture, and that is something that we admire.

However, his posts are not technical or knowledge-oriented. He is here to promote a commercial venture. That's not allowed, no matter who you are. It's explicitly stated in our guidelines, which were PM'd to Eddie Paul when he signed up, and appear to have been ignored. We've had the same problem with other more well-known industry guys. Everyone has to follow the same rules.

These shop promo videos are all the same. They claim to be "documenting a hot rod build" or some such, when all they really are is promotions for the shop and their sponsors. Is there a shop promo "hot rod build" video where someone actually shows you how to build a hot rod?

I have no intention of railing on Eddie Paul for this promotion. He broke the rules, tried to post a sponsor-heavy promo vid as "tech", and got called out for it. He's not even in the same ballpark as the Gas Monkey "Spank My Monkey" campaign; most likely, he got some bad internet marketing advice -- the source of which I would like to know.

Seems like the bigger shops are scrambling to launch the next hit TV show, and the word is out that the Hotrodders Bulletin Board is the place to be peddling your promo video offerings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the support

Bob C said:
I thought it was a great idea and I don't see it as advertising. I don't know anyone on this board that can afford to have him build a car so if he is looking for customers, this ain't the place. I thought he was sincere and really wanting to share something. I've added his site to my favorites and will check in often. I too have been building cars for 35 years and I'm always wanting to learn something new. Thanks Eddie :thumbup:
Bob
Bob, thanks I had not intention of upsetting anyone, I am just trying to do an educational show that has real stuff in it, not the junk you see on TV, but I guess you can not do that with out stepping on someones toes.
Eddie Paul

·
3,201 Posts
When you have made a video of an "educational show that has real stuff in it", we would be happy to check it out, especially as you would be among the first to do so.

Right now, what you have made is a video that is not very educational, and serves primarily to promote your sponsors and your shop. This video is accompanied by the mention of a "plan" to have more educational stuff in the future, and that's something we've heard before.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have no idea what this man wants, or what he is offering me.

I don't own an I-Pod so I will never know what he is showing.

He claims to be an Inventor, anyone know what exactly he has invented?.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
TailGater said:
I see that Eddie's link has been removed, could someone PM me the site? I'd like to check it out for myself.

Thanks,

Chris
I am sure if you Googled him, it would be easy to find...............Thats what everyone that wants to see it should do. He doesn't need a link here.

I think Jons point, and I dont want to try to speak for him. He can do it much better than I.....Anyways, if we start letting promotional stuff in here, no matter who it is, we will be overrun with people and companies using us for promotion. We dont need that. Those people just have to realize that.....Many of our best members are shop and company owners. They don't just come here when it meets their needs....they are here helping out and giving good advise all the time.

I don't consider putting 7 posts on this board contributing................all being either introduction or in this thread.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts