Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New show on Discovery just gettin' ready to start. I suppose it's going to be another Reality, down to the last minute, bite their heads off show that mimics all the others.

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
I really hate these shows. Especially american chopper. The bikes are really cool but what company in reality would force themselves to build a bike in seven days to meet a deadline for a show. Like they didn't know when the show were going to be? Also they are edited so so heavily that they are redicluos.

·
Registered
343 Posts
24hr bike???

what is a 24hr bike when you get all the parts and they are all ready painted wich means that they had to of been fabbed at some point it was so stupid and the guy had a huge ego.
jesse

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Oh my God.

Discovery, Spike, Travel Channel, History Channel, hell even ABC. Give me a freakin camera and tape, I can put a more interesting show together driving around for an hour than those * you give deals to.

Here's the premise, give me a car that looks good on TV, strap 4 cameras on it and I'll drive it like I drive my cars. Host it live, I won't curse. Just one hour every week of me driving balls to the wall. I guarantee people will watch. Hell my daily Cannon Ball Run college commute is more entertaining than most shows. Who wouldn't want to watch a pack of Penn State students chase each other through Route 1 traffic?

·
Registered
195 Posts
That was about the worst one yet. If I heard one more reference to them being from NY and therefore tuffer, smarter, more street wise, or better bussiness men I would have puked.
I've done bussiness with a few people from NY and they are no better than anyone else. Except they have bigger mouths and only talk about themselves.
Give me a break.
The bike bit the big one.
The cars looked like crap and I didn't see one bit of workmanship that was any better than anyone elses from this site.
Nothing origional.
And again someone who had to call in some other pros to do half the work. The painter. Hell what if I hired him and clamed the work as my own? Would I get a show? Hell no, I'm not a fat a** blowhard from NY who built a limo for a tv producer one day.

Oh well just one more show to avoid like the plague.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
[Caution: Rant Ahead]

Tuned in for 5 minutes and had to turn it off.

It is becoming quite clear these "hot rod" based shows are not meant for hot rodders at all. Instead they are Hollywood's greedy way of cashing in on the historical image and name of hot rodding.

At first I thought it was just funny. Now I'm actually getting angry. Angry that someone can take the sport I love, and have been involved in for more than 40 years, and turn it into a mockery - something for the American public to laugh at and gawk at like a bad accident. As if this is what hot rodding is about - fake deadlines, fake animosity between workers, fake trouble with suppliers, fake family problems, fake yelling and screaming...fake, fake, fake.

The sad thing is that in reality hot rodding is just the opposite. It is one of the most pure, real, down to earth things you can do. Creating something with your own hands, solving difficult technical and engineering problems, taking pride in great craftsmanship, fashioning works of art that are pleasing to the eye as well as the heart.

But TV is insisting on turning hot rodders into nothing but a bunch of clowns and fools. The truth is, that is you and me they are portraying in those programs. You and me and the generations of gearheads who have gone before us busting their knuckles to build something true and unique. Don't be surprised in the near future if you begin to hear snickers, if not outright laughing, when you tell someone you build hot rods. "Oh, you're like of of those idiots on TV that screams at everybody and makes a fool of himself."

There is no question that the hot rod and the hot rodder are both American icons. You only need to drive your car 15 or 20 miles down the highway to know this...the thumbs up, the nodding smiles, the waves of appreciation. And they come from all ages, from small childen to little old ladies.

But all that is rapidly being undone. Hollywood style. And it is very sad.

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
Agreed CBOY,

all these shows do is force some "hipster" producers views of "hot rodding" as the "new hip way of life".. it is clearly a biased opinion and does not show what "real" hotrodding is all about....

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
There's only one thing left to do, HR.com has to start its own show where REAL people build REAL cars and experience REAL problems....
What am I thinking, a hot rod show thats intelligent and worth watching hahahahahahaha who would watch that!?:pimp:

I laugh at all the tools who come through work wearing their west coast choppers shirts, with their west coast choppers family, buying their west coast choppers toys, models, bikes, clothing. Then they take their west coast choppers "schwag" out to their minivan and go back to their duplex thinking they are THE bike guru :spank:

The only thing these shows accomplish is make people who know s**t think they know s**t (trust me that makes sense:D ) and the 'builders' (I use that term very loosely) get paid big $$ to act like an idiot for a few hours a day. Its ingenious really.

Shows like this are the reason I dont watch tv, I have a set of rabbit ears and I watch the news occasionally but thats also just a bunch of crap for the most part:rolleyes: anything important that happens I will hear about on the radio or read in the newspaper, I'd rather be reading or wrenching than wasting my life watching that idiot box (yes I realise I am sittin in front of another idiot box typing right now :p )

Just my opinion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts