New to 1940 fords, Alternative location for fuel pump

276 7
Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Nickel Cutlery
Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Nickel Cutlery
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know why you want to relocate it but generally electric fuel pumps are pushers so they work best located near the gas tank. The other possibility is replace it with the stock Ford mechanical pump, they work fine with multiple carbs on a flathead.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If the frame and rear suspension are stock then I understand your problem. On my '47 many years ago I mounted it on the back side of a stock splash shied (Bob Drake calls it a fender brace panel) behind the rear tire. I don't think '40 had one but mounting it on the outside of the frame with some sort of shield could be a solution. I wouldn't count out installing the stock mechanical one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. RODSRUS , thank you for your detailed description/. procedure .
Regards ,
jim

If the frame and rear suspension are stock then I understand your problem. On my '47 many years ago I mounted it on the back side of a stock splash shied (Bob Drake calls it a fender brace panel) behind the rear tire. I don't think '40 had one but mounting it on the outside of the frame with some sort of shield could be a solution. I wouldn't count out installing the stock mechanical one.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't know why you want to relocate it but generally electric fuel pumps are pushers so they work best located near the gas tank. The other possibility is replace it with the stock Ford mechanical pump, they work fine with multiple carbs on a flathead.
A stock pump works fine until it doesn't, I always carried a spare when I had my 40 in the 60's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts