Registered
1978 olds cutlass supreme sbc406 th400 3.73
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m putting together a gen 1 sbc 406
Afr 195 Eliminator heads
Scat Rotating Assembly
9000 crank, forged rods forged piston dish -15.20cc icon
I have been really indecisive on what brand cam and lifters to use. I feel like all I’m reading is about lifter failure and I really want to avoid that. I’m also hearing of noisy lifters. This motor used to have a hyd flat tappet in it and it lasted me 20 years. Now I’m converting over to Hyd Roller. Right now I’m looking at camshafts
Howards cl110525-12s
Howard’s cl110265-12s
Howard’s cl110275-12s
comp 12-443-8(xr288hr-10)
Comp 12-443-8 (xr294hr-10)
I’ve called Isky and that cam lifter package was 1300 because he said he would have to make the grind. I’d like to do the crowers recommendation too.
Anyway what is the best way to go about making sure I get the most longevity out of the lifters and I’ll throw in rockers too. Thanks for your time. I’m a newb here I’m sure it’s been talked about and I’ve read a bunch of threads already but for what ever reason I’ve not read how to have a successful build and switching worries me a bit with all the complaints on the forums. I understand that the negative experiences out way the positive experiences on here or where it seems like no one is bragging about how they don’t have noisy lifters and they aren’t exploding.
thanks
mike

·
Registered
399 Posts
For the street i would not go bigger that the 110265-12. Currently I am putting the top end together on a 421 SBC deluxe short block that I bought from NYES Racing. I asked for the cam to be ground to around those specs. During the middle of the covid fiasco . Erson was having issue getting cam cores. So the builder finally found a off the shelf piece Comp 12-419-8 (CS NX288HR-13) a little more on the duration than I wanted but the LSA was what i wanted for the street.
Also I too went through this process with selecting lifters. I finally settled on Crower 66310LM for my Dart Block. But my issue is that they are on back order until may. I did find a single set and tach welded them solid ,so I can figure out my push rod length and rocker geometry while I wait for the other order to arrive. And when I got the single set they are actually made by Johnson Lifters which in the industry are top shelf. I feel they are on the higher end price range, but at my age I figure I am going to do this right and not go budget with this build. I have been putting this build off for 10 years now due to other family priorities , so now it is my turn to finally do it my way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where does Howard’s and comp rank to Johnson’s. I’ve read on here that Howard’s are made by Morel. If it wasn’t here it was another forum. I totally agree with the don’t worry about budget. I just want a lifter that isn’t going to be noisy and explode. If I have to take it apart yearly and clean them I’ll do it. Im already a change the oil a couple times a year person so dirty oil shouldn’t be a problem. I drive it 1000-2000 miles a year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the street i would not go bigger that the 110265-12. Currently I am putting the top end together on a 421 SBC deluxe short block that I bought from NYES Racing. I asked for the cam to be ground to around those specs. During the middle of the covid fiasco . Erson was having issue getting cam cores. So the builder finally found a off the shelf piece Comp 12-419-8 (CS NX288HR-13) a little more on the duration than I wanted but the LSA was what i wanted for the street.
Also I too went through this process with selecting lifters. I finally settled on Crower 66310LM for my Dart Block. But my issue is that they are on back order until may. I did find a single set and tach welded them solid ,so I can figure out my push rod length and rocker geometry while I wait for the other order to arrive. And when I got the single set they are actually made by Johnson Lifters which in the industry are top shelf. I feel they are on the higher end price range, but at my age I figure I am going to do this right and not go budget with this build. I have been putting this build off for 10 years now due to other family priorities , so now it is my turn to finally do it my way.
What Johnson lifters would you look at for this specific package. I don’t intend on having a max rpm over 6000 6200 max

·
Registered
443 Posts
Its good that you are concerned and researching this stuff. Johnson are often considered the best, but Morel has been around and are good lifters as well. You have a lot less chance for a problem as far as wiping out a lobe goes....as that is the big issue with flat tappets. Whatever lifter you get, you should disassemble it and clean it inside before installation. The thing you should verify is valve travel. You need to insure that when your valve is all the way open, it is not bottoming on your guide/seal even though you have more travel on the spring than needed. You also need to verify just how much spring travel you have before bind occurs. Don't just accept manufacturer numbers.......verify. You can lay a head on its side and put a dial indicator on the valve face. Just push it open and see how far it moves before it hits the guide/seal. Put the springs in a vice and measure open and collapsed between the jaws with a dial caliper.

If you don't have any binding there, put the head on the engine with an old gasket and some light duty checking springs. Rotate the cam by hand with the piston at TDC, 10 BTDC, 10 ATDC and check that you have sufficient clearance.

If there is a bind in the movement of any of the parts, you can bend a pushrod. Once that happens, its possible for a lifter to jump out or destroy itself. Also make sure you get a distributor gear for a roller cam.

If all those results are correct, you should have no problems.
Just read the little black box on the right side of the attachment below..........
Newspaper Publication News Font Newsprint

Bottle Newspaper Publication Font Plastic bottle

Font Publication Newspaper Gas Parallel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts