Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there fellow hot rodders.

To start off, I have been around many hot rods, race cars, etc. since I was a young adolescent. I was looking for work to make extra money, but being younger than 16 I couldn't get a legit job. I mowed lawns, etc. My dad knew a guy that had a shop that he needed help in on the weekends, etc. Come to find out his shop was a machine shop / engine shop / race car & hot rod shop. I started out just cleaning the place, sweeping, mopping, organizing nuts, bolts, parts & other little things. Before too long he could tell I was very mechanically inclined & started teaching me how to build engines from mild to all out race engines. I worked at his shop until I was 18, out of school & could start a full time career. That didn't stop me from stopping by & helping with the various vehicle / engine projects going on at his shop. So long story short, I am still into hot rods. I have built motors for & fixed up various Camaros, Mustangs, TransAms, a few Mopars, but never truly had the time or money to really build one up for myself until recently.

My wife & I decided to build a hot rod together on the weekends to spend more time together. We looked at alot of different cars, but she & I wanted something unique that you usually don't see out there on the road. We eventually found a 1963 Plymouth Valiant that she fell in love with & I thought it was pretty unique as well, so we bought it for $2,000 & drove it home. Very very little rust & drives like new suspension wise.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself & converse with others that are into the same hobby.

Here's some pics of the Valiant (which we will be converting into a nasty street rod)

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Welcome!!
Good choice for a project! You surely don't see many Valiants anywhere.
You got the mighty indestructable slant six too!
Will we see a hemi, a 440 or a built small block in there soon!
Nice pics!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome RWENUTS!

I will be putting a small block in it, would love to get a HEMI for it, but I'm not gonna pay the money it takes to get one these days.

Instead, I will be throwing a twist to it on the type of small block. Usually on most hot rods, the top three choices are Chevy Motor, then Ford motor, then Dodge motor. I have a BUILT AMC 390 out of an AMX that I will be putting in it for kind of a WOW factor. This engine has Scat forged crank, forged I-beam rods, & forged pistons. Heads that have been ported, polished, etc. to their full potential, healthy street cam, & an Eddy performer RPM intake.

I just thought it would be neat to go with the AMC motor instead of going with the typical motor swaps you see in most custom rods these days.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I looked into an AMC 360 for my 26 T mostly because of the dimensions, weight and the dizzy in the front but opted for the 302 which kept my Ford all Ford. Good choice of motor!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome. Nice car. I think that you picked a good car and engine to work with. I like the idea of it not being the same old car and motor that you see. I would like to try that in the furture.:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.