Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've spent my whole life dreaming of building my own hot rods, and I've spent the last 3 years furiously paying off my debts to get to the point where I can actually afford to. I've had one particular build in mind for a 32 roadster, but I'm having some trouble finding a complete list of the original parts that would come from the factory on the original cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You've chosen a great pastime and there is a bunch great folks here to help with your endeavor of building a '32. I've been here but a short time myself but have received very helpful and friendly feedback. I'm confident your experience will be as pleasurable as mine. Welcome.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Welcome. A 32 Ford Roadster is what I believe to be the apex of the street rod world. You didn't give any details as to what you want for a final goal, stock, highboy, lowboy, fenders, rumble seat...etc. What will it be used for, around town or a few trips. family size? Lots of questions and as you fill in the blanks it will give you a good picture of your final project. Research.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah that '32 Ford is legendary... I think alot of it is because it was the first V-8 (flathead) Ford.
It was also light, whereas I'd guess that most of the V-8 cars prior to that were much heavier (Packard, Cadillac, etc.).

My great uncle, who remarkably is still kickin' at 102(!) had a hotrodded '32 roadster back in the late 30's.
He and a group of his buddies in San Dimas, CA (next to Pomona, the "home of the NHRA") worked together on a '32 roadster dry-lake racer, which they would tow (with a rope!) out to Muroc Dry Lake (now part of Edwards AFB) for races sanctioned by the So. Cal. Timing Association.
One of their competitors was Vic Edelbrock Sr., and my uncle said that their car used to "beat those Edelbrocks all the time!". Apparently the guy that owned the car and was the brains behind their group really knew how to tweak those Flatheads. He must have been a heck of a mechanic!
Then WW2 came along and screwed up the whole thing... their main guy ended up taking a job with the City after the war, and didn't race anymore... war is hell...

Then of course the '32 continued to be a favorite among Drag Racers once the 1/4-mile drag racing scene got going post-war. I suppose the fact that the Dry Lakes got taken over by Edwards AFB during the war, to use for testing the newly invented jet aircraft, probably played a big part in racing changing to the 1/4-mile format post-war.

Best of Luck, and Have Fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts