Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 383, for my '72 Nova. I'll be racing it and driving it on the street from time to time. What I plan on doing is buying these heads. I'm going to use a Victor Jr. intake with a Holley 750, 4.11s and a th350 with a converter probably stahling at 3 grand, not sure on that yet. I want to rev this thing to 6500 at most, and my hopes are for high 11s if I can get the car to hook. My question is what kind of a grind should I be looking for? I'll probably end up using a mech. cam.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not going with a vortec setup though. That and I am not going to use any off the shelf cam. I was just asking for some advice on what to do. Thanks anyway maybe I'll try somewhere else.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
kmkchris1 said:
I am not going to use any off the shelf cam.
I'd call the camshaft grinder with all of the particulars (including vehicle weight)... and ask for their recommendations. (They're the experts, right?)

They'll also be able to recommend a torque converter that will work ... taking the guesswork out of that decision as well.

HTH,
Don

·
2,785 Posts
I just followed that link to E-Bay that you posted...

My impression was that there was WAY too much hype going on there.
(Paraphrasing ... not direct quotes.)

"We're the best"
"We just couldn't believe it."
"You won't find better flow rates anywhere on e-bay." (On E-Bay???!!!)
"Last Chance for these at this AMAZING price."

OVER and OVER again ... without any substantiation, and it's even written without proper spelling or sentence structure. It just doesn't carry that ring of professionalism that fills me with confidence.

My "spider sense" is tingling.
Sorry ... maybe I'm just being paranoid. (For the second time in two days. :) )

Go ahead and do what you feel is right ... after all, it's your engine and your money.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
66, did you notice that they kept referring to the manufacturer as "our supplier" rather than by name? I think they only mentioned the manufacturers name once.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Blazin72 said:
66, did you notice that they kept referring to the manufacturer as "our supplier" rather than by name? I think they only mentioned the manufacturers name once.
There is a current article about the Patriot heads. Looks good. Time will tell.

Off the top of my head I can't remember who the ramrod is.... but it is somebody well known and of good integrity.. I'll try to find it and post back.

Their web site doesn't say.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Blazin72 said:
Quote:
THESE FLOW NUMBERS ARE GURANTEED TO BE 99.9% ACCURATE.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with cams but what the heck does that mean?
It means that their quality control is sufficient to guarantee repeatable numbers from head to head.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
If you're going with those heads as spec'd which allows for a max lift .55 I would go for something like Cranes PN 12003

It's a solid lifter grind [email protected] In. [email protected] Ex and .532/.555 Lift on a 108 LC. I would install it at 102 LC

It's an older grind but one I find that works fantastic. I know the max lift is right at the max for the heads but after you take the valve lash into consideration the lift at the valve is down around .530 on the exhaust.

Peak torque will come in around 4k so a minimum 3500 stall is needed, looser would be a little better.

I know it's not a custom grind and it's not as high tech as some of the newer grinds but it is a proven commodity in my book. The other option would be to take these lift and duration numbers and look at some modern grinds with more aggressive lobe profiles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
engineczar said:
If you're going with those heads as spec'd which allows for a max lift .55 I would go for something like Cranes PN 12003

It's a solid lifter grind [email protected] In. [email protected] Ex and .532/.555 Lift on a 108 LC. I would install it at 102 LC

It's an older grind but one I find that works fantastic. I know the max lift is right at the max for the heads but after you take the valve lash into consideration the lift at the valve is down around .530 on the exhaust.

Peak torque will come in around 4k so a minimum 3500 stall is needed, looser would be a little better.

I know it's not a custom grind and it's not as high tech as some of the newer grinds but it is a proven commodity in my book. The other option would be to take these lift and duration numbers and look at some modern grinds with more aggressive lobe profiles.
Great! Thanks for the info. That's definatly something I'll look into :cool:

·
2,785 Posts
Blazin72 said:
Well, that's marketing for you...

Talk a lot ... but say very little.
Create a need (and/or want) and get the buyer to commit as quickly as possible.
Don't reveal that you're any kind of "middle man"... You want to portray your business as the ONLY business that can get the customer what he wants.

That's my "penny.95" worth. :mwink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts