Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several projects in progress; 47 Olds Convertible, 84 El Camino, 2 - 53 Willys Jeeps (Both 1953 M38A1's), 70 CJ5 with Buick V6, 85 Blazer (383 cu in) & 67 Chevelle, have had over 100 different vehicles over the years. I love to design, create, fabricate & alter to my own tastes with steel, sheet-metal, plastic & fiberglass. I have tools that I have collected over the years and a lot I have made for a specific job or need. Sometimes I have questions that just stump me or something I'm doing for a friend. So I thought "Hey I'm a Hot Rodder" this looks like a place people of like minds can communicate, so here I am.

First question; My 84 El Camino has a 383 Stroker w/TH350, no computer & just enough smog. The current issue I'm having is that it is eating vacuum advances (4 in the last 8 months), just replaced the last one tonight. The first one came with the new distributor, The 2nd one was new, the third was robbed from a new distributor that was in my Blazer. Tonight's was out of one in the distributor pile. I tested this one and it works, will be watching the vacuum gauge more closely, this is my daily driver. Any ideas on why so many have failed, let me know.

Thanks

47CustomOlds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of them have failed, using a vacuum pump, it just keeps sucking and no rod movement. when these were installed they worked great. The one I put in last night is still working today. back to 20 lbs. vac, no hesitation and will roast a tire at any time. I'm stumped as to what is causing the failures, the latest one is from an older Distributor and I'm wondering if the new ones have inferior material.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Just because you’re hooked to ported doesn’t mean you don’t have any vac to the pot.
Primary cranked open to get it to idle could cause a rich idle from idling on the power circuit.
Could be a little fuel vapor eating the diaphragm.

And welcome to the jungle!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts