Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Names Dan I have a 58 gmc short box project truck. Im looking for tips, tricks, and general advice concerning my 58 gmc. My dad and brother and I just finished a 77 dodge short box fleetside this summer now on to the next project!

·
Registered
252 Posts
well, I have a 57 gmc, so the 2 headlights instead of the 4. otherwise the cabs and lots of other parts are the same. the 58 and 59 are different from the cab forward, as far as bodywork is concerned.
these trucks seem to rust out in several areas of the cab. start by looking above the windshield, cab corners, door hinge mount areas, front cab mount areas, rocker panels and steps and generally front floor areas. when you take the front fenders off you can check the cowl parts that come down the front sides of the cab. they rust there too because the drains at the bottom get plugged up. all this stuff is readily available from several sources so don't sweat it if they are rusted. it is a bit of work cutting and welding though.
there are several tech articles in the custom classic trucks magazine web site. just google them and then click on tech and peruse. also, classic trucks has a bunch.
I am installing a tci mustang II style front end with air ride suspension front and rear in my 57 gmc. also using a ford 8.8 rear axle from an explorer with disc brakes. I am making my own rear 4 link with parts from welders series. so far i have straightened and boxed the frame, installed the front end, fabbed up a rear 4 link, mocked up and fabbed mounts etc for a chevy 4.8 and 4l60e trans. hopefully it will ride like a caddy when it is complete. i plan on using it as a daily driver in the summer.
what are your plans for yours? got any pics?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey I see I'm gonna learn a lot of good stuff. I'll have quite a few pics ill get some up right away. I'm a "b" pressure welder and run my own welding truck to. Getting some better tires onto the rims tommro so I can get it in the shop or Atleast close to going in. Nice 58 so how come some have the "domes" on the bumpers like mine then some are smooth?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.