Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading what I could understand (newbie at 63 y.o.) I am looking at changing the valve covers on my T Bucket to solve the oil leaking out of the valve cover caps. As someone indicated, the covers have no markings so they might be the cheap Chinese brand. I just bought this hot rod. It has a 327 bored out to 333, Sportsman II heads with roller rockers and spring loaded locker bars. The previous owner installed a Weiand 2x4 high rise tunnel ram intake with 2 Holley 450's. He estimated around 425 hp. I only loaded this with information because I don't know enough to know what info you need to guide me.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
You need a working pcv system to help cure the oil seepage
A pcv on one valve cover that's baffled and a breather on the other cover.
Break out your old box camera and take us a pic of your motor.
We can help you better that way.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I bet that puts a big smile on your face!!
I see no pcv. Just two breathers.
Pop each breather off and see if there's a baffle under them.
You might need to set up new covers with baffles and a pcv or pan evac system.
Pcv needs a port on either carb for the vac hose.
Pan evac uses the flow from the headers to draw the fumes out of the motor.
Depends what look you want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am happier than I've been in my adult life! I've been waiting since High School to be able to get involved in hot rodding. Family raised, nearing retirement, going to paste my head onto the head rest. Thanks Brother.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
ha 5152

being this is your first rod and u'r in the process of retiring.. u picked a GREAT car... a bucket is a blast.. no weight and tons of HP to play...
but ya keep on breather and put in a PVC off the rear carb or if the tunnel has a port. and yes if u are getting new valve cover MAKE sure they have baffles or u'll be sucking oil off that lifter it's looking at..

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Oil blowing out the valve cover breather/filler cap has always been a problem since the PCV was introduced. GM finally was able to eliminate the valve cover breather/filler caps by 1970 with the closed engine evacuation and PCV system .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts