Freshly rebuilt T-5 5 spd transmission
3.73 open gear
belt drives AC pump, power steering pump, water pump, alt
Full factory interior

VS.

69 Mustang Coupe
351W HO Holley 600cfm carb
Long Tube hedman headders (no exhaust)
Custom fabbed ram-air hood scoop (no filter)
C5 auto trans built with transgo shift kit (kevlar)
3.00 open gear
belt drives water pump, alt
one seat, no dash, no console
rear-facing 16 gal fuel cell with 1/2 in aluminum lines (stock mech pump)

Who's gonna win? Oct. 9th is the day we find out, but I just wanted to get some ideas based on the info given. 1/8th mile track.

MoocH

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lots depends on the driver of each vehicle. A great drag driver with a bad car will smoke a poor driver with a hot car all most every time. I dont like that the one car only has 3.00 rear gears. Those gears are a real acceleration killer. Why would someone go to all the lengths of such a lengthy modification and then leave those grocery getter rear gears?

·
8,453 Posts
vs. '42 Willys coupe, 392 hemi, 671 blower, 4-hole Hilborn injector, B&M Hydro, 5.54:1 '57 Pontiac posi-track fiberglass tilt hood, doors, trunk lid, rear fenders, candy-apple red paint. I'll take the winner of your race and spot you 4 seconds!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have enough time to get the floor pans in and attach the rest of the necessary interior stuff, like belts, seat, steering column, and pedals.

I did find a guy in town that has a 4.11 posi unit for my 8in, but I don't think it's gonna be worth it. I'm thinking that 8 in will only hold up so long behind my motor and trans. So changing the gear now is going to be like a quick fix down the toilet when the rear endo goes out anyway.

It's not really acting up yet, but I'm sure by the time I put it to the test, it'll fail with flying colors.

Willys, love to :thumbup: But can I drive your car? :D

MoocH

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
[email][email protected][/email] said:
vs. '42 Willys coupe, 392 hemi, 671 blower, 4-hole Hilborn injector, B&M Hydro, 5.54:1 '57 Pontiac posi-track fiberglass tilt hood, doors, trunk lid, rear fenders, candy-apple red paint. I'll take the winner of your race and spot you 4 seconds!
whose car are you describing Willys?

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
I got a $hundy$ on the Willys :mwink:

C

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so I just found a posi 4.11 gear for my 8in. for $200. I'm putting it in next weekend. Race is on Oct. 9th.

MoocH

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
ahhhemmm, sure wish we had a race forum cough cough...

Anyway, gears are certainly a limiting factor. I would put those 4.11's in it and make your way down the track with them. The problem with lower (number) gears is they not only hinder your launch, but they actually fight your motor all the way down the track. The feeling of a different gear set is akin to blocking a bunch of air from going into your motor.

In terms of competition you're still on the underdog side. Your car should jump off the line quicker, and if it does he shouldn't be able to catch up, but you're going to need to practice with this car if you want that $. Buy your self a recurve kit from summit, and adjustable vacuum advance. Find a place to test run different curve combos until you've got one that gives no ping, crisp throttle response and a chirp into second. Took me a while to learn how to launch my ride, and now I'm going to have to learn all over again. Plan to have the car DONE a week in advance, none of this monster garage, up to the last minute crap, you'll lose. If you give yourself a week for feeling the car out, tuning it in (carb too!) and getting your launch down, I think you'll eat him. Work those cubes to your advantage and leave him to play catch up at the line. The advantage you have is that it sounds like just about every mod the guy has made builds top end, and he may be a bit doggy off the line.

Do you have new valve springs? If that motor makes any power after 4000 RPM you'll lose it all with weak springs...

BTW, we want more pics.

K:thumbup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks E

Nah, I'm not touching these stock heads. Saving up for a set of TFS Twisted Wedge heads. And yea, I know what you mean about having time to work the bugs out. I haven't even changed the PLUGS since I got the motor last year. Same oil filter too. See what I mean about small stuff being over-looked? I've got a LOT to do.

MoocH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts